zmNinja, ES+ML support discontinuation notice (in advance) : EOY 2021

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
RedNumberOne

Re: zmNinja, ES+ML support discontinuation notice (in advance) : EOY 2021

Post by RedNumberOne »

asker, I'm potentially interested in looking to at least maintain the iOS app if the offer is still open in the future. I saw someone else who was interested as well.
gisforgirard

Post by gisforgirard »

I absolutely love this app, I think I bought it twice on two different play store accounts and also supported you a tiny bit on github, sorry to hear about this but all things must eventually come to an end. My friends are all jealous of my setup and I wouldn't have been able to do it without you. I truly can't thank you enough for all the work you've put in. Anyone that complains about this for any reason can go f*** themselves, you've gone above and beyond to provide support for this project through the upcoming months. Thanks again
Altodd

Post by Altodd »

I develop on android professionally. Seeing as someone else mentioned he was iOS and another guy saying he was cross platform, maybe we could form up a team to maintain ZMNinja. I don’t have an abundance of time to learn the iOS side, but would be happy to join a team and maintain the Android side.
good4y0u

Post by good4y0u »

The app has been fantastic, I hope that you consider adding other maintainers instead of ending the project as it stands. You may take a role of code review at that point or maybe approving final versions, or even step back.

Thank you for your dev time, I am sure many people appreciated the work and best of luck on your next endeavor.
JeroenSt

Post by JeroenSt »

Thank you for all your effort!

I will continue to use the app until it breaks down.
warcanoid

Post by warcanoid »

Thank you very much for all! A bit sad that this is happening
PeterSM

Post by PeterSM »

Can I add my thanks to the list. ZmNinja just worked!
asker

Post by asker »

Thanks for all the kind words - for the developers who are offering to take over, I've added a section to the main post with more thoughts.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

My take:

@asker is a god.

We need developers to step up. As much as I'd like to take over/help out with it, I'm already burned out and am better left to work on the ZM backend stuff.

I'd like to see zmNinja or a fork of it be available in the app stores and look official. I would also like it to be a paid app, with decent support. I want it to be a paid app so that we can PAY people to do the support.

ZM support is killing me too, so I get why asker is doing this.
yannlieb

Post by yannlieb »

I just bought the app on the 9th afternoon ! Will I get a goodie for being the last customer ? ;-)

Thanks for your efforts, and also thanks for making this GPL. Hopes that someone will take over and continue developping !
Glassweaver

Post by Glassweaver »

I can't say I've ever been on the forums because ZM and ZMN have always "just worked" and been very easy to use, but I signed up to add my 2 cents and to say thank you for the beautiful and easy to use software you have given us, asker.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I do think that ZM should adopt some level of freemium model, and ZMNinja should cost far more than it does. I hope someone interested in forking ZMN does so and implements a subscription model. There's no way in hell $1 a month or $10 a year is too much to ask for something like this and to ensure an attractive enough revenue model develops to ensure its continued development. To anyone thinking about forking it who might be interested in further incentivizing themselves monetarily, add in an off the shelf installer for a service like ngrok or pagekite to deal with port forwarding for those who won't (or cant) do so for another $4 a month or $40 a year, make a free version with annoying adds that doesn't include rights to the repeater service or push notifications, and then a paid subscription to go add free with addons for push notifications and repeater service to avoid port forwarding.

Anyway, thank you for writing an excellent piece of software that has helped so many of us have professional quality camera systems without sacrificing our left legs for.
Bearded_Beef

Post by Bearded_Beef »

Asker,

Just wanted to say thanks for everything (like everyone else has already said). I probably would've bit the bullet and bought Blue iris by now if it wasn't for both ZMES and ZMNinja. Thanks for your many contributions to the community and for enabling me to keep open source 8)

Re: subscription model, that would immediately put me off. I don't care if you make the app 200$, there needs to be a "lifetime" price or I'd be looking into other solutions. Theres enough hands in the pocket as is. I really hate that its become the standard.
mmaura66

Post by mmaura66 »

Thank for the application and thank you for opening the code.
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

yannlieb wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:32 am I just bought the app on the 9th afternoon ! Will I get a goodie for being the last customer ? ;-)
Need to check timing, I (actually a friend, at my urging) bought iOS ZM late afternoon of 9th, purchased while enjoying a beer or 3 at Mike's Hole In The Wall bar. Not asking for $$ back, but the timing just made me laugh.....
thespy

Post by thespy »

Thank you for your work on this app that I use every day, not having this app would be a real blocker on using Zoneminder.
I hope it will still be maintained by new developers next year. :)