RESOLVED -why is zmninja-pro-1.6.4-linux-x86_64.AppImage phoning home

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
jperkins

RESOLVED -why is zmninja-pro-1.6.4-linux-x86_64.AppImage phoning home

Post by jperkins »

Hello
I really like zmninja pro and appreciate all the work. I was looking up something for someone else and noticed that the app is opening a connection to an outside server

Code: Select all

jperkins@htpc:~$ sudo ss -tupan| grep zmn | sed -e 's/my_source/redacted/g' 
tcp    ESTAB   0       0               redacted:35550      140.82.112.5:443   users:(("zmninjapro",pid=211212,fd=26))            

so it is opening a web connection back to github ?

Code: Select all

nslookup 140.82.112.5
5.112.82.140.in-addr.arpa	name = lb-140-82-112-5-iad.github.com.
I'm sure there is a good reason. can you enlighten me ? I did a quick search on github for the ip and hostname but github search has eluded me before. thanks again
Last edited by jperkins on Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jperkins

Re: why is zmninja-pro-1.6.4-linux-x86_64.AppImage phoning home

Post by jperkins »

I did some more searching and came up with this. I am sure there is a valid reason for this. thanks again

https://zmninja.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... sonal-data
https://medium.com/zmninja/zmninja-priv ... 89a5974baf

None of this information is transmitted to any 3rd party server — any and all user profile data lies strictly inside the app database and is only transmitted to the ZoneMinder server of your choice.

zmNinja does not use any other ports other than the port that is used to access ZoneMinder web console (the exception here is if you enable push notifications, in which case, see the Push Notifications section later)
asker

Re: why is zmninja-pro-1.6.4-linux-x86_64.AppImage phoning home

Post by asker »

lb-140-82-112-5-iad.github.com (and similar) seems to be a load balancer node of GH. When zmNinja starts, it connects to https://api.github.com/repos/pliablepix ... ses/latest to get the latest zmNinja version available. It looks like this TCP connection is made when that HTTP GET is called. I've added this update to the privacy statement
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
jperkins

Re: RESOLVED -why is zmninja-pro-1.6.4-linux-x86_64.AppImage phoning home

Post by jperkins »

Thanks so much for your reply and the update of your privacy information. That makes perfect sense to me. I have updated the subject of my original post with RESOLVED.