ZoneMinder, Mobile Apps & Delay Alerts

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
NowUCme76

ZoneMinder, Mobile Apps & Delay Alerts

Post by NowUCme76 »

Hello all,
I'm new to this and not sure where to ask this. I am currently "experimenting" with installing and picking a security software to use on POE cameras. Currently, I am repacking the horrible Ring Wireless Flood Light Cameras to be returned. It's a nice idea however, their app is absolutely horrible. And my concern as I research installing my own POE cameras and maybe using Zoneminder is running into the same. OK, let me elaborate...
There is an intrusion within the MD zone, camera senses it, sends alert to phone, but with Ring, it averages 3 minutes before you can actually see what the hell the alert is all about, which defeats the whole purpose to installing a security system. Now that happens no matter if I'm home in the network, or out using cellular data. Their app freezes constantly on various windows. The phone is an Android, no other apps running at all. No problems with any other apps like Netflix, Youtube, and such. I do not have other apps running when I'm out.
So I'm saying to myself, will I run into the same problem with installing my own POE cameras and using software as in ZoneMinder. Will the camera work well, detect the motion, send the alert, but I'll end up fighting a mobile app (ZmNinja or such) that is NOT designed well and by the time I open the alert video, the theft, intrusion, what ever, is over and gone.
Can anyone shed some light if you've encountered such with ZoneMinder or "no sweat" never a problem with ZoneMinder and ZmNinja, etc.
I appreciate any input, wisdom or guidance.
asker

Re: ZoneMinder, Mobile Apps & Delay Alerts

Post by asker »

With ZM + Event Server + zmNinja you _should_ get the notification in less than 30s of the occurrence, as long as you have configured and installed it correctly. Unlike Ring, however, ZM + etc is not a one push install, and things will go wrong if you don't follow all the guides to the letter. You will also have to debug and be comfortable with looking at debug logs etc. if things don't work.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
NowUCme76

Post by NowUCme76 »

Thanks "Asker" appreciate it. I'm sure if I have issues someone here can help. My issue is I want to be able to see why I got an alert quickly and 3 minutes with Ring is unacceptable. Thanks again.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

I would imagine sometime in 1.35 we will get this down to instant. We know what needs to be done, just trying to hold off so we can get 1.34 out.
CountyLine

Post by CountyLine »

NowUCme76 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:48 pm
There is an intrusion within the MD zone, camera senses it, sends alert to phone, but with Ring, it averages 3 minutes before you can actually see what the hell the alert is all about, which defeats the whole purpose to installing a security system. Now that happens no matter if I'm home in the network, or out using cellular data. Their app freezes constantly on various windows. The phone is an Android, no other apps running at all. No problems with any other apps like Netflix, Youtube, and such. I do not have other apps running when I'm out.
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the Ring system is supposed to do. That three minutes isn't wasted at all. During that period, the Ring system makes sure Amazon has full details about your house, your security arrangements, the color of your lipstick (but only if it thinks you are female, [in most cases]), and the average cash balance in your bank accounts.

It then preps a recommended "suggested for you" display list of things you absolutely must buy from Amazon in the time remaining before you are actually notified of an intrusion. Simultaneously, Amazon AWS cloud side apps check to see if you have Prime. If not, they make sure you receive a detailed breakdown of the shipping costs you will save replacing those items that are about to be stolen (Alexa already has figured out what you own that is worth stealing and what is crap) if only you sign up for Prime.

Hurry though, your three minutes are almost up.

:cry: :P