zmNinja bandwidth usage rather high even with lbm?

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
Fressikus

zmNinja bandwidth usage rather high even with lbm?

Post by Fressikus »

I feel like my zmNinja still uses a lot of mobile data even when switched to low bandwidth mode. I have just four active cameras configured at a time in montage and you can see well over 50MB of data getting used every minute.

Would there be a way to maybe drastically reduce the framerate or something else to be able to use up less data? Also, did any of you guys check how much data you are using with your ZM setups?
asker

Re: zmNinja bandwidth usage rather high even with lbm?

Post by asker »

That does not seem normal. It however depends on how large your monitor resolution is and what you are doing in a minute.

I just ran zmN on Android for a minute. Low bandwidth was on. My monitors are around 1280x720 (averaging out) and I have 7.

with multi-port off (if you haven't explicitly configured multiport its off), in low bandwidth mode, each JPEG image takes around 50K. Images are refreshed once in I think 8 seconds. That comes to approx 3MB per min in montage mode (some overhead added).
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
Fressikus

Post by Fressikus »

Thank you for your reply. I've had some time to test this again, and it seems like I've misunderstood how the low bandwidth mode actually works. It only does something on the montage screen, not on a single camera monitor.

Two minutes on the montage screen with lbm on actually uses 3.8 MB for me, so that's great!
One minute of a single camera monitor (full HD, 15 FPS) uses 30 MB

The only way to get the single camera usage down would be to reduce the framerate or resolution of the camera "globally" in Zoneminder, I suppose?
asker

Post by asker »

In single monitor view, it switches the "&scale=" parameter to 50 (default is 70), so it does reduce. That being said, in single monitor view, it is continuously streaming images (whereas in montage, it is cycling snapshots every 8 secs, so there will be bandwidth differences). I think the bandwidth you see if similar to what you would see in ZM console.
Fressikus wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:36 pm Thank you for your reply. I've had some time to test this again, and it seems like I've misunderstood how the low bandwidth mode actually works. It only does something on the montage screen, not on a single camera monitor.

Two minutes on the montage screen with lbm on actually uses 3.8 MB for me, so that's great!
One minute of a single camera monitor (full HD, 15 FPS) uses 30 MB

The only way to get the single camera usage down would be to reduce the framerate or resolution of the camera "globally" in Zoneminder, I suppose?
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs