Align Cameras to the width of ZMNinja Window

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
jsylvia007

Align Cameras to the width of ZMNinja Window

Post by jsylvia007 »

In the attached screen shot, you can see that I have 3-cameras wide in the view, but no matter what I do, I can't stretch them evenly width-wise in the app, there is ALWAYS wasted space. Is there anything I can do to stretch this wide and fill the app's window? I don't mind if I end up scrolling up and down, but I hate seeing the wasted width space.

All that being said - I LOVE this app and I LOVE zoneminder. Truly exceptional pieces of software for home-tinkerers like myself!
Attachments
ScreenShot-2018-05-12.png
ScreenShot-2018-05-12.png (526.23 KiB) Viewed 8249 times
asker

Re: Align Cameras to the width of ZMNinja Window

Post by asker »

Yes, zmNinja _should_ rescale to the full width. It does for me (see below). In your image, there is no more space to add another thumbnail, so to fill the width, increase the window size of each image.

Tips:
1. Press the V arrow button at the top, that will bring up a 2nd set of buttons. Press the button with grid dots - to reflow
2. Try resizing the windows (+ and -)
3. Try resizing individual windows (you press the multiple arrow buttons, select one of the monitors, and then +-)
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
jsylvia007

Post by jsylvia007 »

Yea, the problem is, I need to resize the window without the cameras automatically stretching. If I could just lock the width of the cameras, resize the WINDOW, then unlock the cameras, they would all expand as I want them to...
asker

Post by asker »

I'm not really sure I understand your use-case.
Its not possible to resize the window without the cameras reflowing.
Is it not possible to resize the window to whatever width you want and then resize the cameras with +- to fill up the width?
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
jsylvia007

Post by jsylvia007 »

asker wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:42 pm I'm not really sure I understand your use-case.
Its not possible to resize the window without the cameras reflowing.
Is it not possible to resize the window to whatever width you want and then resize the cameras with +- to fill up the width?
That last piece is exactly the issue. Right now, I want the first row 3 across as I have it (it's how my home is physically laid out). The problem is, if I hit the "+" one more time, they all grow *just* enough so they don't all fit across. And there's no way to de-couple the window width from the scale of the camera pictures, so I always have that wasted space there. Does that clear it up a little? It's almost like the "+" is too high, and grows by too much of a %age.
asker

Post by asker »

jsylvia007 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:56 am The problem is, if I hit the "+" one more time, they all grow *just* enough so they don't all fit across. And there's no way to de-couple the window width from the scale of the camera pictures, so I always have that wasted space there. Does that clear it up a little? It's almost like the "+" is too high, and grows by too much of a %age.
Ah I see. Every time you hit the + or - it grows/shrinks by 5%. It is possible that when all 3 grow by 5% its too much. Would growing just one be acceptable? You are able to individually size the windows - want to make sure you are aware of that.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
jsylvia007

Post by jsylvia007 »

asker wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:05 pm
Ah I see. Every time you hit the + or - it grows/shrinks by 5%. It is possible that when all 3 grow by 5% its too much. Would growing just one be acceptable? You are able to individually size the windows - want to make sure you are aware of that.

I've actually done that (growing just one) on the mobile app... Perhaps you could expose the grow percentage in the configuration to allow us to change it for our own use. I bet if I could set it to 1% I could get closer to what I'm looking for... Even better, add a "stretch to witdth without re-flow" option. That would allow someone to align everything the way they want it, and then optimize the size with the push of a button.
asker

Post by asker »

I have been tinkering with this - its not as easy as I thought. I have a version with 1% increments if you'd like to test. Please send me an email with the desktop OS of choice. pliablepixels @gmail. Not really sure if its helps or makes it worse

ES docs
zmNinja docs
asker

Post by asker »

1.3.009 is the new version. Change resize % in desktop settings.
I tried on iOS and it works too.

The pain point is always Android, especially < 5.0 - seems to break in many ways when all other platforms work. I'll test that later.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
jsylvia007

Post by jsylvia007 »

So, setting the Zoom to 1% on the desktop effectively gives me the most maximal space used, with substantially little waste.

I noticed a new behavior though... When I zoom out, the grid resize is locked to only 2 columns, no matter how many times I zoom out. Then, if I zoom in just once, I can again lay the items out in 3 columns. Doesn't affect usability, just weird behavior.

Overall, I'd say that a zoom of 1% for me has worked perfectly well.

Does it accept non-integer values?
asker

Post by asker »

Ok great.

1. Yes, that 2 column splitting is one of the odd behaviors - but for me, if I just tap on the icon with a grid of dots, I am able to re-align them without having to re-scale

2. No, fractional values won't work - I will actually add a guard for that. If you put a fractional value it will mess up the org.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
jsylvia007

Post by jsylvia007 »

Good to know. I think that the 1% changes work perfectly fine for me. There is still a slight sliver that I can't fill, but it's better than the 1/2 a "monitor image" that it was before.

AWESOME APP!!!!

Now I just need to figure out how to access it via Roku or Amazon FireTV... Basically would like to emulate the "Alexa, show me the front yard camera" that you get with Xfinity, Fios, etc.
jsylvia007

Post by jsylvia007 »

Any idea if you're rolling this into mainline? I have been using this version every day and I haven't noticed any issues...

I'd love to update my linux machines as well.
asker

Post by asker »

Yes, it is already rolled into main line. I'll make a release in a few weeks - ironing out some other stuff/bugs at the moment

ES docs
zmNinja docs