New mobile app Surveillance Pro for IPhone

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
monex

New mobile app Surveillance Pro for IPhone

Post by monex »

Hi,

besides zmNinja I've recently found a new app for IPhone devices which also supports ZoneMinder. You can find a short feature video here. The free basic version seems to be adequate for a single home ZoneMinder installation. Of course the features can be extended if you purchase a subscription. The full list of features is available at the itunes web page.

I think this might be an interesting alternative to zmNinja, at least for IPhone users. Please let me know what you think.

Greetings,
Dirk
asker

Re: New mobile app Surveillance Pro for IPhone

Post by asker »

Are you the author? I’d love to get it to work. So far I’ve not managed to get it to login to my ZM system
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
monex

Post by monex »

No i'm not the author :)

Are you using the latest ZoneMinder version? As far as I know there is a recent version required.

If the instructions from the video did not work, maybe you can try to contact the developer through facebock :)
asker

Post by asker »

Okay. Thanks for the post.
If at all you decide to use the app and would like to, please feel free to point the author to this mobile forum - he/she can start a thread here introducing the app and possibly support folks who are interested.

(I am not that interested to reach out to the dev as I don't really have an immediate use for it, but others may)
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
DrMickeyLauer

Post by DrMickeyLauer »

Hi,

I'm the author of Surveillance Pro and I just registered here to support people interested in and/or using the app.

Dirk, thanks for mentioning the App. Hope it works good for you.

Asker, if you don't mind, I'd be interested in learning why it doesn't recognize your Zoneminder instance
I tried hard to make it autodetect correctly in all kinds of setups.

I reckon you have a 1.30.x and have the API enabled. How does the path to your index.php look like?
Is there a non-standard port involved or did you mount the API on another port and/or prefix compared
to the index.php?
Cheers,

:M:

--- Author of SurveillancePro for iOS ---
asker

Post by asker »

Asker, if you don't mind, I'd be interested in learning why it doesn't recognize your Zoneminder instance
I tried hard to make it autodetect correctly in all kinds of setups.

I reckon you have a 1.30.x and have the API enabled. How does the path to your index.php look like?
Is there a non-standard port involved or did you mount the API on another port and/or prefix compared
to the index.php?
No problem, and welcome to the forum.
Yes, I have 1.31.1 with APIs enabled and working (I am the author of zmNinja and it uses APIs too, so I'm sure its in order).
My url is of the format "https://server:port/zm" where port is non standard (not 80)

No custom tweaks.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
DrMickeyLauer

Post by DrMickeyLauer »

Strange, I just remapped my Zoneminder instance to another port and it did work here. Surveillance Pro won't automagically scan all possible ports though, so I had to enter "http://io.local:666" here to make it find the instance.
Cheers,

f1d094

Post by f1d094 »

I also just discovered Surveillance Pro. It looks like a great application with a very fast interface but it only kindof works for me. Our install is on non-standard port and only accepts connections over SSL. e.g. https://10.1.1.10:1234/zm The initial setup works and as long as I don't close the app all the features seem to work seamlessly. However, if I close and then re-open the app it then fails, simply displaying a thumbnail from the last time the app was running and having an exclamation point in the bottom corner. Oddly, if I then select that camera and enter the detail/history view, I can still download and view events.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Please try force-closing the app and then reopening.

Cheers.
DrMickeyLauer

Post by DrMickeyLauer »

f1d094 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:51 pm However, if I close and then re-open the app it then fails, simply displaying a thumbnail from the last time the app was running and having an exclamation point in the bottom corner. Oddly, if I then select that camera and enter the detail/history view, I can still download and view events.
*UPDATE* Version 1.1.1 of Surveillance Pro is supposed to fix this and now live in the AppStore. Note that unfortunately you have to remove the Zoneminder installations and readd them in the App. If you have a minute, please check whether it works for you!

Best regards,

Mickey.
Cheers,

f1d094

Post by f1d094 »

I have now reinstalled Surveillance Pro and am very impressed. Paid for upgrade too...though figuring out how to do it inside the app isn't obvious.

Tips for designer:
1) You offer too much for free. For this quality even the base version should be at least $2 after a trial. Most users will never *need* more than one group
2) The balloon numbers for "events": I see that you were going for the same look as icons on an iPhone...but the red balloon bit covers too much real estate of the video thumbnail. Just plain white numbers or at least an option for a transparent fill would be nice
3) OFF button or setting for app sounds

Tips for ANY zonminder user:
1) go get this app RIGHT NOW it blows zmNinja out of the water and is snappier than the native web app even
2) Buy the full version. It is pricey at $8+ but this quality of effort deserves a few bucks
DrMickeyLauer

Post by DrMickeyLauer »

@f1d094: Thanks a lot for your feedback. I will take all of it into consideration, in particular 1) is food for thought. To tell you the truth, while the number of downloads of the app are ok, the sales are abysmal. Given that I worked 10 months on it, and considering what the competition offers (in particular QCamPro), I expected much much higher sales.

I'm going to work on 2) and 3) and ship an update in the next couple of weeks.
Cheers,

bbunge

Post by bbunge »

I discovered this app today and dug up my iPod touch to load it. Had trouble finding it in the App Store so I looked up the Wandit! app which showed the link to the camera app. Install went well, set up for my Zoneminder was a bit of a problem as the app did not want to allow me to input the https: and jumped back to http:. So, I entered the entire ip address with /zm at the end then went back and added the "s" after http and it stuck. Logged in and all 17 cameras on my system came up. Only suggestion is to display the monitors in the sequence they are in Zoneminder. When I point this app to my customer his first complaint will be the cameras are out of order.

WIKI link: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/MobileDevices#Mobile_apps

Any chance for an Android version?

bb
tomasbond

Post by tomasbond »

Mmm doesnt work for me. Maybe its something on my zoneminder installation as i couldnt make it work on the phone. i can stream in pc browser but not on phone... what could it be bothering? im using default port 80
rkleemann

Post by rkleemann »

I have the same problem. Tried setting up a Zoneminder install on the Surveillance Pro on the iPhone. I can get as far as entering the URL for the zoneminder server, but I can't get any farther, I don't know how to get it to actually access the server.

I have no problem accessing via a web browser
nrbell

Post by nrbell »

I'll join in on the chorus. I can't get it to work either. I get to 2/3 in the settings. It correctly detects Zoneminder (no SSL, grumble), but when I enter the username and password and press "send", nothing happens.