API Howto for Debian 1.28

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
asker

API Howto for Debian 1.28

Post by asker »

For folks looking to get access to APIs on Debian, please follow this guide till some version of 1.29 is released.
It's been tested to work with Debian 8 running zm 1.28.1

https://github.com/pliablepixels/zmNinj ... -ZM-1.28.x
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
Markymark

Re: API Howto for Debian 1.28

Post by Markymark »

Hi asker,

many thanks for your effort!

Debian "Wheezy" installation following this documentation.

Could follow your instructions, except that the directory "/usr/share/zoneminder/www" is not present. The relevant files seem to be directly in "/usr/share/zoneminder". So I added "/usr/share/zoneminder/api" instead.

After restarting Apache the following red line occured:

"URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server. 1) Help me configure it 2) I don't / can't use URL rewriting"

I followed the same instructions with the directory as mentioned (/usr/share/zoneminder/www/api) - but with the same result. I stopped to fumble around at this point to keep things clean.

Any help apprechiated.

Rgrds,

Mark
asker

Post by asker »

Can you use Jessie/8 instead? Wheezy/7 uses an older version of apache and the instructions you are using are actually for 1.28 but you are building 1.29, so its a bit of a mess.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

>you are building 1.29, so its a bit of a mess.

No, it is an existing installation v1.28.100. I would be happy to upgrade to 1.29, but as far as I understood there is no proved upgrade path known at the moment.

>Can you use Jessie/8 instead?

Honestly I would hesitate to upgrade to Jessie because I have a very stable configuration up and running. At the moment the API would be the only reason to switch to Jessie. As I do not oversee the effort to get the API running with Wheezy/1.28.100 it is hard for me to make a reasonable decision. Could you give me any advice?

Rgrds,

Mark
asker

Post by asker »

No, it is an existing installation v1.28.100. I would be happy to upgrade to 1.29, but as far as I understood there is no proved upgrade path known at the moment.
The link you posted for instructions does a git clone https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder.git from the master branch - thats 1.29 today. So if you followed those instructions recently, you should be running 1.29 not 1.28.100
Honestly I would hesitate to upgrade to Jessie because I have a very stable configuration up and running. At the moment the API would be the only reason to switch to Jessie. As I do not oversee the effort to get the API running with Wheezy/1.28.100 it is hard for me to make a reasonable decision. Could you give me any advice?
I'm not suggesting 1.29 on Jesse. I'm suggesting 1.28 on Jesse which is stable and official. https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_8.1_ ... e_Easy_Way
Once you do that, you can use my API package for Jesse.

However, I totally understand why you might not want to move. I'm not a debian guy so I don't know what is good/what is not - that's a call you have to make. I took at quick look at Wheezy and it seems that distro runs an older version of Apache, plus, the ZM in that distro installs into /usr/share/zoneminder instead of /usr/share/zoneminder/www -> which is probably why the API package is not working - I don't quite have the time right now to investigate what all to change for Wheezy

ES docs
zmNinja docs
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

>So if you followed those instructions recently, you should be running 1.29 not 1.28.100

I installed ZM several month ago - I think in mid 2015. This is definitively 1.28.100 as far as I can see.

>Once you do that, you can use my API package for Jesse.

OK, so far I did not get the idea that the API package is exclusivly for Jessie.

>I don't quite have the time right now to investigate what all to change for Wheezy

Asker, this is perfectly all right for me. If this is a singular problem it makes no sense to spend time on it. Thanks anyway.

Rgrds,

Mark
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

@asker,

I spent some time today trying to get the API running with Wheezy.

From what I understand there should be three '.htaccess' files arround - one in cake root directory, one in app root directory and one in webroot directory. I could not find the one that should be located in the cake root directory - which is accoring to my understanding /usr/share/zoneminder/api/lib/Cake.

Could that be (part of) the problem?

Rgrds,

Mark

P.S.: I already tried to add .htaccess at that location but that does not solve the issue. Maybe this is the right direction anyway.
videoboom

Post by videoboom »

I have the same problem on Raspberry with Debian

URL rewriting is not properly configured on your server... and API not works :(

Did u solve ?
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

@videobroom,

I finally startet with a new installation of Ubuntu Trusty and ZM1.29 - and that did the trick. You might get it up and running with 'older' versions. But what have you gained at last - apart from experience? You can migrate the database with a few steps: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24405&p=93230&hilit=migrate#p93215

Rgrds, Mark
videoboom

Post by videoboom »

Oh Thanks, i'm on Raspberry PI ... i will try