Exportable Camera Configs aka zmcamtool.pl

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
West Slope

Exportable Camera Configs aka zmcamtool.pl

Post by West Slope »

Was the zmcamtool.pl ever finished and if, so is it downloadable and where to get the file, or is it already included in ZM? How would one run it if so?
Thanks
rockedge

Re: Exportable Camera Configs aka zmcamtool.pl

Post by rockedge »

zmcamtool.pl is in the directory /usr/local/bin
To run, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

#zmcamtool.pl --help
asker

Post by asker »

Do note that zmcamtool is not a tool to export your monitor configs. Its a tool to export/import monitor presets and controls DB.

If you tried this tool and thought "--export name" means it will export to the name specified, it won't. The 'name' is actually a filter (used with a --where condition of mysqldump).

In other words, to see what it does, just execute it with --export (to export) and it will print to stdout. You can redirect stdout to a file
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Exporting the actual config of a camera probably isn't what you want because info unique to that camera, most notably the ip address, will be part of the config.

Instead, first convert the monitor config into a camera preset, then export the preset to a file. Both operations can be done using zmcamtool.pl. See the help text for details.

Like any binary in a Linux environment, to find where it is use the type command:

Code: Select all

type zmcamtool.pl
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
patpend

Post by patpend »

What if you do want to save all your specific camera configurations, just dump & reload the config table?
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Zmcamtool.pl is not a backup tool. Zmcamtool is a camera config migration tool. It is intended to make life easier for those who need to program (many) similar cameras on the same system, or across multiple servers, or who want to share presets with others.

If a backup is what you want, then just use the normal mysql tools to backup the database and/or table of your choice. You might as well just backup the entire database.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/