Modect + Record

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
abi

Modect + Record

Post by abi »

Hello.

I'm not the Zoneminder user [at least yet], but I'm searching for opensource alternative to proprietary Windows-only program I use to record and analyze camera data on my private property.

I have a following setup now:
1. Constant recording with 2 FPS for all cameras
2. Motion detection and 15 FPS recording, fired on motion event. Also, software keeps in memory some camera output before triggered event and droping it to the disk as well.
3. Software can distinguish data recorded by the first method from the second one to simplify navigation and playback.

I read Zoneminder wiki and if I understand it correctly, I must choose if I need motion detection and events or constand recordings. Maybe, some hacks are available ? Actually, the scheme with low quality constant recording and high quality on events are considered as best practive in security.
bbunge

Re: Modect + Record

Post by bbunge »

I use a ZM function called mocord which records all the time but also flags events when motion is detected. My setup is in a warehouse with 17 IP cameras. Now, to save storage space I turn all but the three outdoor cameras to modect when the place is closed. The three outside cameras remain on mocord 24/7. Am running a 2 TB drive and can keep 4 weeks of recordings.

Sounds like ZM would work for you! Only cost you your time to try it...
abi

Post by abi »

Yep, sounds like it will work!
Can I ask you some questions about Mocord mode then?

1. Can recording quality for 'constant part' of this mode be different when motion is detected? I know, HDD space is cheap, just try to avoid unnesessary purchase.
2. In the Record mode description it was said that 'fixed length events will be generated'. You say, events will be flaged and I recon Mocord will use these fixed length events as Record does. Is flag applied to all this 'fixed lengh event' (BTW, how long are they?) or ZM starts new event on motion event? The latter would be easier to analyze as I don't need to navigate on the whole flagged event to check where event was fired.
3. Are your outdoor cameras have night mode? Usually, I receive a lot of false positives in the nights for motion detection. How motion detection works for you in this case?

Thank you.
patpend

Post by patpend »

abi wrote:Yep, sounds like it will work!
Can I ask you some questions about Mocord mode then?

1. Can recording quality for 'constant part' of this mode be different when motion is detected? I know, HDD space is cheap, just try to avoid unnesessary purchase.

Thank you.

Yes, the "alarm fps" setting will do this.
aaronl

Post by aaronl »

3. Are your outdoor cameras have night mode? Usually, I receive a lot of false positives in the nights for motion detection. How motion detection works for you in this case?
For this, you can tune the motion detection to ignore overloads...ie. if nearly 100% of zone is triggered, it's not likely to be real, it's lights turning on/off, so ignore it for x number of frames.
asker

Post by asker »

bbunge wrote:I use a ZM function called mocord which records all the time but also flags events when motion is detected. My setup is in a warehouse with 17 IP cameras. Now, to save storage space I turn all but the three outdoor cameras to modect when the place is closed. The three outside cameras remain on mocord 24/7. Am running a 2 TB drive and can keep 4 weeks of recordings.

Sounds like ZM would work for you! Only cost you your time to try it...
bbunge are you testing zmninja with these 17 monitors? I'd love for you to do that. I think you told me you are testing the ones at home.

Have you installed the event server for push notifications? Id love for you to test that too.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

Why this post appears as unread (always). Replying trying to aviod the situation.
PacoLM

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...