Kubuntu Not seeing the packages to install

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
Tune

Kubuntu Not seeing the packages to install

Post by Tune »

Not sure where to post this question. But I hate spending hours trying to figure out Linux problems when I can just ask for help.

I followed the instructions:

(If you are an Ubuntu user, Isaac Connor is maintaining a PPA with an up-to-date ZoneMinder package.)

for getting my 15.04 Kubuntu software management sources to see zoneminder packages so I can install it. I can see the zoneminder source PPA. and I updated the packages however When I type in Zoneminder there is nothing to click on to install it. as if those sources are incorrect. I don't understand why it is so hard to install Linux programs for me.. It seems there is always some bug making it so difficult to add software that is not already "IN" the software manager selection.

Any help in me getting Zoneminder installed would be very much appreciated.
kenneth558

Re: Kubuntu Not seeing the packages to install

Post by kenneth558 »

I'm beginning to suspect something has gone wrong with iconnor's ppa site.

Your answer can be found in my post answering Zmjm15's question a day or two ago asking the same thing. His question is entitled "Updating". Sorry I can't link it due to forum restrictions on new users like me.
Tune

Post by Tune »

Thank you Kenneth, I will look for that post and see what I can learn.
Tune

Post by Tune »

That worked Kenneth, I also got msql installed. still have more configuring yet to do but you did get me on the right path, Thanks again.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

See:

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... e_easy_way

And before you say it is for server just remember there is no real difference between the GUI versions of Linux and the server version. Oh, you may need to install tasksel to get LAMP installed right...

Good Luck!

And, as of yesterday there was no problems with the iconnor PPA as I set up several systems as a test.

bb
kenneth558

Post by kenneth558 »

bbunge wrote: And, as of yesterday there was no problems with the iconnor PPA as I set up several systems as a test.
bb
Thanks for checking that out. Who knows. Maybe it was some way I installed Ubuntu server that time.
kenneth558

Post by kenneth558 »

Tune wrote:That worked Kenneth, I also got msql installed. still have more configuring yet to do but you did get me on the right path, Thanks again.
You're welcome. For anyone installing this way, bypassing the repositories, you need to be careful that the .deb file you get is made for the flavor and version of linux you are running. It is especially tempting but a bad idea to try to get a version of software from the wrong linux flavor or linux version repository just because in that repository the developers have a more recent version ready than they do yet in the repository for your linux flavor and version.