Efficient motion detection by means of B2 frame?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
nagmat84

Efficient motion detection by means of B2 frame?

Post by nagmat84 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:17 am

Our cameras have the capability to embed a B2 frame into the RTP stream in order to signal if the camera detects motion. This way we could offload the motion detection from Zoneminder to the cameras. Can Zoneminder evaluate the B2 and only record the stream if the camera signals a motion?

knight-of-ni

Re: Efficient motion detection by means of B2 frame?

Post by knight-of-ni » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:55 pm

Zoneminder does not have the capability to read motion detection metadata embedded into the RTP stream.
This is one of several features, which would be really nice to have, but goes beyond what we are able to reasonably accomplish in the near future.

It's entirely possible I haven't looked in the right spot, but I have not seen many cameras that support ONVIF 2.2 Profile S (contains the motion detection standard). Consequently, any all-encompassing, camera-based motion detection capabilities added to zoneminder would likely require custom plug-ins,drivers,etc for all the major camera manufacturers.

With that said, I am aware of alternative ways to get Foscams and Axis cameras to do the motion detection, just not via an RTP stream. User Asker wrote a script, which polls Foscams. Also, I believe there is a wiki entry that describes how to get Axis cameras to send motion detection data to a zoneminder server via zmtrigger.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/

patpend

Re: Efficient motion detection by means of B2 frame?

Post by patpend » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:39 pm

Not an expert here, but perhaps use rtpdump to detect B2 frames and pass the event to zmtrigger.