Scrambled picture Ubuntu Desktop and 1.28 ZM

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
TrOjAn

Scrambled picture Ubuntu Desktop and 1.28 ZM

Post by TrOjAn »

I feel Im so close... I have ZM running, I now have all 8 video inputs showing, I have a feeling I might have missed a setting somewhere as the picture stream is scrambled as if Im running on NTSC instead of PAL.

The attached picture shows what Im getting.. its moving video but just garbled.... I think I have the card set up correct as it came with the config to add so the card can work..

So close, but so far :)

TrOjAn
knight-of-ni

Re: Scrambled picture Ubuntu Desktop and 1.28 ZM

Post by knight-of-ni »

If you are sure you have NTSC/PAL set properly then the next thing to do is to disable V4L_MULTI_BUFFER under options.

If that doesn't do it, then you need to re-verify you have the driver for your card configured properly.
The bttv driver, for example, will not autodetect your hardware. You have to insert a config file under modprobe.d to get it to work with your hardware.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
Southcross

Post by Southcross »

I had a similar issue when I had "Rotate 90*" selected instead of "Rotate 180*"... it striped the video in a cascade similar to that
TrOjAn

Post by TrOjAn »

Ill take a look at both of those thanks.... the really weird thing is, I have a Zoneminder livecd from years ago... ZM 1.22.1 running on a 2006 Mandrake and it works great!!

I tried comparing the settings but its just crazy.

One other thing is, if I reboot, I lose the Video0 to Video7 from /devs/ sometimes it takes up to 3 reboots to get them back.. its like the card sometimes gets "seen" and other times the pc starts and completely misses it.

Sure is crazy, as I need to rely on the cameras working Im running another pc with win8 on and other software until this becomes stable...

TrOjAn
Southcross

Post by Southcross »

PCI card? I remember back in the "olden days" some legacy PCI cards would not soft reset at reboot, required a hard power-reset to make them reset. Some BIOS vendors have had an option to send resets to the PCI bus, might be worth checking.