*s.sock missing when logged in as user from ZM front end

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
d777

Re: *s.sock missing when logged in as user from ZM front end

Post by d777 »

I do remember that I changed the AUTH_HASH_SECRET from the default one - am not sure if this matters - shouldn't.
BTW - what's the default value for the above?

Like I said I am pretty sure I compiled the ssl part of it into the mix.
Believe me I had to go through a lot of download/compile of dependencies that zm needed before doing a clean cmake.- yep even *devel pkages.

But I may also re-do it with the rpms and see if that fixes my problem.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

ZM_AUTH_HASH_SECRET defaults to "...Change me to something unique..." w/o the quotes.

I recall at least one other user who reported that changing the HASH_SECRET broke authentication. However, I've never been able to duplicate that. I even used the same HASH_SECRET he was using, and it worked fine on my system.

I noticed that Fedora 20 was implied in a previous statement.
I recall a past problem with a specific version of gnutls, found in Fedora 20, that caused authentication hashing not to work. It was resolved by upgrading to a newer gnutls package via yum. Make sure you are running with all the latest yum updates ....or upgrade to Fedora 21 using fedup.

I know you think you've got all the packages installed (I've been down this road many times myself), but the only way to know for sure that zoneminder actually found them is to view the build output.

This should be easy to do from the source folder:
- delete CMakeCache.txt if it exists
- run "cmake . > build.txt 2>&1"
- Paste the contents of build.txt into a reply
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
d777

Post by d777 »

with all respect - thanks for all the input.
First time I do arm, and have done mainly heavy duty x86 - and found my way out one way or the other.
Let me get my hands on the stuff you mentioned and will get back to you.
d777

Post by d777 »

I did install gnutls-devel - rebuilt - same issue.
Then I read that some guy fixed the sock error by setting ScriptAlias on httpd.conf instead of zoneminder.conf - restart - same issue
Then I always wanted to get rid of errors on php date.timezone where it complains that I had to properly set it in php.ini.
The 3 above, especially the last one got me through and fix the errors on where logged into with user in zm I can see live streams.
Somehow the auth is using some of the php time piece to get that sock created - never thought that was the issue, but if it works I am happy.
Thank you knnniggett for the time/pointers and also asker.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Glad you got it working.
I know it is a little late, but the following README steps you through the items you mentioned:
https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinde ... DME.Fedora

You might want to skim through just to verify nothing else got overlooked. Sorry for not mentioning it sooner.

It is good to know that an incorrect date.timezone could cause that kind of issue. I had not considered that.

This thread has inspired me to add ARM7 support to zmrepo. I had planned to do it eventually, but now that I see someone is using it on that particular hardware I will go ahead and get the ball rolling.

I don't actually own any ARM7 hardware so I am working on getting a Rasp Pi 2. Once I've got the hardware, I don't expect it to take me long to get a zoneminder rpm and any dependencies up to zmrepo.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
d777

Post by d777 »

I was surprised and never thought that date.timezone would get in the way of creating a sock.
Yes, would be good to support arm7 - btw I do this on a cubie truck - light and powerful.
I will take a look at that link and get back - but man was lucky to fix that date.timezone error was getting and seeing that fixed it.
Anyways - thanks for the info you provided - I guess I am off to fix my tons of false alarms, but this is nothing comparing with the stuff I went through.
Maybe you have some pointers on how to get around the false alarms - got some pointers from asker (thanks) and was reading through last night.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

The authentication hash is only valid for a certain amount of time. So if the clock is off, then the hash could be seen as expired, even though it was created literally one second ago.

If you are getting false alarms, then that means you need to configure your motion detection settings.
Setting your motion detection parameters is a process, may not be trivial, and is entirely scene dependent. We cannot tell you exactly how to configure your cameras because we cannot see the scene nor how it reacts to the current settings. I recommend you read through the motion detection documentation and search the forums. People ask all the time how to set their cameras and my answers are usually very similar. You should be able to get pointers from other posts.

Without getting into analytics, keep in mind that most software video surveillance systems only know pixels (and how they change in color frame-by-frame). They don't know anything about objects: trees, clouds, people, cars, etc. While humans can easily differentiate between a tree blowing in the wind (false alarm) to a person walking through the field of view, surveillance software cannot. You have to try and teach your system the difference between the two in terms of groups of pixels and motion detection zones. This is often not fool proof. Ultimately, this will usually minimize your false alarms but not eliminate them entirely.
asker

Post by asker »

Glad you got ZM working. On zones and false alarms, I struggled quite a bit at the start.
I wrote this illustrated guide up if it helps: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... or_Dummies
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
d777

Post by d777 »

Thanks for the info. I folowed asker's link and I am in the game.
One feature I want to add is have zm email on events. I could not find any doc on this. I am planning to get the email out from zm server with exim and relay it to my other exim server.
Any pointers - appreciate it
thanks
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Documentation is here:
http://zoneminder.readthedocs.org/en/la ... email.html

Essentially you go to Options -> email and fill out the fields.

Googling "zoneminder email" yields lots of results.
d777

Post by d777 »

I get that. Read my post, how can I tell zm to use exim as relay email. What,s
Zm using behind the scene. Talk to me low level, thanks pls don't send me to gogl
d777

Post by d777 »

Hey - so I was not aware that I had to create a background filter to email on events.
Did that, along with replacing sendmail with exim, and got all that I wanted from this setup.
So I guess I am fully setup on my little arm guy - overall I think zoneminder once you get it setup you can see its powerfull features. Maybe there is some room for improvements on the speed - it could be that I run it under full https and seems a bit slow, but I do not mind, as long as it's doing what have asked it to do.
Apart from banging out my head on the *s.sock issue that turned out to be the date.timezone - I guess I need to thank the opensource guys to put this up for those in needs :), and appreciate you to feed me with some good pointers.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

I am not all knowing, and do not know what you may have or have not done until you write it into your message.

If you ask a question like "How do I set up [insert widget here]"? Then I will, 100% of time, refer you to the available documentation simply because you have not demonstrated you have completed that critical first step. It isn't personal. That comes from a lifetime experience of troubleshooting issues. I may also refer you to additional sources of information, including Google, if I know of other good sources of information out there.

If you don't like my response, then this is easy to solve.... tell us what you have done. Specifically. I've got several other people waiting for answers to their questions in this forum, and frankly I don't think I need to google for you. You can do that.

Here is the first line of the ZoneMinder documentation I previously referred you to:
OPT_EMAIL - In ZoneMinder you can create event filters that specify whether events that match certain criteria should have their details emailed to you at a designated email address.
However, you just stated you didn't know that. Now, I don't think I'm the only person who would conclude that means you haven't read the documentation. Go read it. Seriously. This is the best way to make your ZoneMinder experience as smooth as possible. If you have a specific question about a particular feature then feel free to ask.

Once you have a basic understanding of how e-mail works in ZoneMinder, then Google "zoneminder exim". The very first hit tells you exactly what you want to know. At least it did for me.

I have again told you how to solve your issue, but I can't make you do the work. That is up to you.
d777

Post by d777 »

Hey - you're right my bad.