1.26.4 -> 1.28.1 upgrade -> zmupdate.pl failing

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
McFuzz

1.26.4 -> 1.28.1 upgrade -> zmupdate.pl failing

Post by McFuzz »

Hello,

I am upgrading an old install from 1.26.4 to 1.28.1; everything has gone smoothly except when I try to update the database. I get the following error messages:

Code: Select all

Use of uninitialized value in transliteration (tr///) at /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 82, <CONFIG> line 50.
Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 83, <CONFIG> line 50.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 100, <CONFIG> line 50.
Compilation failed in require at ./zmupdate.pl line 47, <CONFIG> line 50.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./zmupdate.pl line 47, <CONFIG> line 50.

I recall there were some perl modules and settings that had to be done for 1.28.x but I can't, for the life of me, find the writeup....

Any ideas?

Thanks!
knight-of-ni

Re: 1.26.4 -> 1.28.1 upgrade -> zmupdate.pl failing

Post by knight-of-ni »

How are you attempting to install zoneminder 1.28, from source or package?
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Wait a minute, isn't this question merely a continuation of this thread?
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 7&start=15

If the following is true:
- The version of zoneminder you are upgrading to has been installed from pacakge (deb, rpm, doesn't matter)
- Your get an error message that makes reference to a file (any file) under /usr/local

Then that means you (still) have stale files on your system from a previous build-from-source.

Note that this is not a zoneminder problem. This problem will happen with any Linux appilcation when switching from a build-from-source to a package installation. If you don't remove all the files from the previous build-from-source you are guaranteed to run into problems.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
McFuzz

Post by McFuzz »

I should have clarified:

This is a different VM from the one which I discussed in the other thread. This particular VM (and the server it's sitting on) have been offline for over a year (last fire-up date was November of 2013!). I was asked to update it to the latest and greatest which is when I hit the snag reported below.

I am upgrading from source to 1.28.1 from 1.26.4, which was also installed from source. The debian VM zoneminder is running on is very similar to my own person one which is the one I discussed in the other thread. Difference is that I did not hit that particular error when I was upgrading my db; zmupdate.pl on my end simply complained the db version was already current which was due to a stale file which I resolved. In this case, zmupdate fails to compile.
McFuzz

Post by McFuzz »

Alright - figured out what happened. Despite me installing from source (not a package) on both occasions, I once again hit a very odd issue. For whatever reason, all the perl scripts were dumped into the wrong directory. I am unsure how that happened considering I used the same configure command with the same flags as when I compiled 1.26.4...

Nevertheless, moved some files and voila - life is good!
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Running "sudo make uninstall" from the previous version's source folder, before running "sudo make install" from the new version's source folder is how to avoid this problem.
McFuzz

Post by McFuzz »

knnniggett wrote:Running "sudo make uninstall" from the previous version's source folder, before running "sudo make install" from the new version's source folder is how to avoid this problem.

hrm...

You just gave me an idea. I am gonna revert the vm back and do a clean upgrade (yay for snapshots!). Now, it's complaining about wrong libjpeg libraries ::bangs head::
McFuzz

Post by McFuzz »

Darn - ok, I am going to start a new thread since it's a whole new problem. Thanks for the help though, knnniggett :)