New install on new machine, copy setup from 1.24.2 to 1.28.1

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
jrf

New install on new machine, copy setup from 1.24.2 to 1.28.1

Post by jrf »

I have a running ZM installation 1.24.2, two outdoor cameras on Ubuntu 10.04 on an old notebook for my private house security. After some reading I decided to have a clean new installation on Ubuntu 12.04 with ZM 1.28.1 on a less old notebook. I am not an expert in Ubuntu or any other distribution. I want to use Isaac Connors PPA.

My question: can any setup be copied from the 1.24.2 installation to the new installation that would prevent me from doing all setup again: general setup, cameras, alarm zones, movement...

Thx in advance,
Joerg
dazed

Re: New install on new machine, copy setup from 1.24.2 to 1.

Post by dazed »

I cant answer your question but I would think you would want to go with 14.04LTS over 12 since it has only 2 yrs support left and 14 has 4yrs.
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

You could use PHPMyadmin to create a copy of your database.

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
jrf

Post by jrf »

PacoLM wrote:You could use PHPMyadmin to create a copy of your database.
I was afraid of an answer like that: I have no clue what I would have to do... I was looking for an answer like: "Copy these four files to the new system..." :)
But thanx anyway,
Joerg
Best regards from South Germany,
JRF
solarix

Post by solarix »

On old machine
mysqldump -p zm > zm.sql
enter the root mysql password
copy the zm.sql onto the new machine

On the new machine
mysqladmdin -p create zm
enter root mysql password

mysql -p zm < zm.sql
enter root mysql password

If all goes well you now have the new machine with your old setup but, the 1.28.1 the zmupdate.pl does not work as one would hope, it fails and you have to do some twiddling in mysql to get it updated all the way. I was able to get it done for my 9 cameras many times through the years but, I am familiar with mysql.........

With only 2 cameras, I believe it would suit you better to configure from scratch unless you want to learn how to do this which is a lot more effort than just configuring 2 cameras and zones from scratch. I wish I could go back to 1.26.5 built with the real ffmpeg on ubuntu 12.04 as I now have many smeared frames that simply did not occur before and I went from 1/4 the processor and 1/4 the ram onto the new server. Some things are best left alone if they are working.

Jerry
Debian 7.8 Zoneminder 1.28.1 from source AMD FX-8370 Processor 16 gig of ram. 11 HD IP cameras.
jrf

Post by jrf »

First: installation completed. Ubuntu 12.04, Zoneminder 1.28.1, 3 IP cameras (2 outdoor), 4 Zones, 8 frames per second, network traffic acceptable, cameras and zones setup manually.

@dazed: 2 years support is enough and I will wait until s/o has described the install in the wiki: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... 04_Desktop. In the end the install itself is not so much of a hazle: clean ubuntu, follow the wiki, decide which options you want to use (I did omit LAMP, H264, the delay and the patch of zm.conf, NTP daily update).
@solarix: Thx, I decided to do the setup manually as you recommended.
JRF
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

I will likely not update the Desktop version of the how to. I have found no advantage to running a desktop as it uses up resources and drive space better used to run Zoneminder! If you need a GUI to do some things install Webmin.

And you really need the "sleep 15" to allow MySQL to start when rebooting the PC! Yes, the other stuff is optional as stated in the how to.

Some of us spend a lot of time working this stuff up so others can be successful with up to date OS and software. I wonder... are you still running Windows XP?

bb :(
jrf

Post by jrf »

@bbunge: I am very thankful for the wiki you wrote but as others also stated (actual: http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 32&t=22989) I also use the desktop for several additional tasks, even trivial ones like running the Spotify app if I am in the office. I will add the sleep but so far it was not needed for the (my!) functionality because I have to log on anyway on the notebook after OS start so that it is not going into suspend mode. So I start ZM then from the local Firefox or remote from another machine in the network (yes, I am using authentication for ZM), close the lid of the notebook and let it run until I need it for another task.
Not being an expert I just felt better/saver to work with a wiki that names an Ubuntu LTS version, and yes I know that it is a lot of work to find out how things work AND share it with others. So because 14.04 was not mentioned I just felt saver to do it with 12.04. I just wanted to share my experience after getting to know that I cannot copy the ZM setup easily. Thanks again for writing the wiki posts.
Edit: Using a notebook is also fine for me for my ZM installation thinking about power consumption in a 24/7 environment.
JRF