Add Events Hard Drive

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
river100

Add Events Hard Drive

Post by river100 »

This has been covered and worn out I know.
I do it on every Zoneminder I install. But just noticed
that on Ubuntu 1.28.0 with the github install there is a events simlink
in /usr/share/zoneminder pointing to /var/cache/zoneminder/events.
So, should I link an events folder located in my /mnt/ZM
to /var/cache/zoneminder
or this
ln -s /mnt/ZM/events /usr/share/zoneminder/events

I'd like to mount it in fstab but haven't had much luck with that yet.
knight-of-ni

Re: Add Events Hard Drive

Post by knight-of-ni »

The short answer to your question is to use the second example as it is less confusing.

However, what I would do is mount the entire disk/partition directly to your events folder (the real folder, not the symlink'd one)
That way you don't have to create any additional links. Don't forget to chmod the mount point so that the web user account can write to it.

Here is the official doucmentation on the subject:
http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... Hard_Drive

This guide is slightly more complicated as it shows how to do this for both the events & images folders.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
solarix

Re: Add Events Hard Drive

Post by solarix »

I mount mine to a spot where it can include the temp, images and the events directory that way all the images created by the thumbnail views are created on that drive as well.

I mount mine on /var/event and symlink everything back to the directory tree on the new hard drive which contains events and images but that's just the way I do it. My events dir is in /usr/share/zoneminder as well as the temp and images dir. Updates break the symlinks though.

YMMV

Jerry
Debian 7.8 Zoneminder 1.28.1 from source AMD FX-8370 Processor 16 gig of ram. 11 HD IP cameras.