Safe to upgrade Ubuntu 13.10 / ZM 1.25 to 14.04 / 1.28.1?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
rzeune

Safe to upgrade Ubuntu 13.10 / ZM 1.25 to 14.04 / 1.28.1?

Post by rzeune »

I'm not proficient with Linux or ZM, and have a system that overall is working well. But I don't want it to get so far out of date that it can't be maintained. ZM is the only thing I use this box for, and it currently has 2 Chinese IP cameras tied to it via RTSP and using motion detection.

I'm asking for an opinion on how difficult this would be to update/upgrade both Ubuntu and ZM?

I assume that I should update Ubuntu first, then ZM?

Will all of my ZM settings remain intact after the upgrades?
dazed

Re: Safe to upgrade Ubuntu 13.10 / ZM 1.25 to 14.04 / 1.28.1

Post by dazed »

quick search in the wiki section came up with this
http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... e_easy_way

Though this is for a fresh install...
rzeune

Post by rzeune »

@dazed: I appreciate the response, but a fresh install is what I was trying to avoid. I've tweaked many of the settings and I'm not anxious to start all over.
-ray
dazed

Post by dazed »

I suggest u back it up (whole disk in case things dont work out)...and either just upgrade the ZM, or first find forums or help online that just talk about upgrading the OS unrelated to ZM.
After you get your OS upgraded then Update ZM. From what I gather OS distro upgrades are not the way to go....BYMMV

So in that case I would backup ZM and take screenshots of everything. Maybe you can import somethings to the ZM from your backups, but i dont know.
At least with 14.04 its a LTS release.I am running 12.04LTS and would also like to upgrade to 14.04LTS....but so far the Upgrades are working fine....im holding out
for hope that someday ZM starts using MKV files for video...

After all its only using 2 cameras not 10, so setting up from scratch cant be that hard...
rzeune

Post by rzeune »

@dazed: thanks again. Regarding "cant be that hard...", when I upgraded from 12.04 to 13.10, ZM wouldn't start. I didn't have a large block of time to devote to it, and couldn't immediately figure out how to debug it. So about 10 days later I found the ZM configuration table had been overwritten, and that there was a script to initialize it to a default state. Then I had to go through the various tabs to reconfigure my setup. This would be a cake walk for a ZM/Linux veteran, but it probably took me 20 hours altogether before it was completely back the way it used to be.

I'm just hoping to not go through that again, although I admit that it has a valuable upside in teaching me.
-Ray
dazed

Post by dazed »

I am hardly an expert....maybe an expert noob...and I had/have to do a lot of reading, I still reference everything I do in fear of screwing it up.

I would just back it all up, and try from there....I know you want someone to chime in and give you all the info, but I think
if its out there it would be on the wiki...also with all the different flavors of linux, it would be different for each one IDK

Good Luck.