zmu Crashes, Can't Edit Zones

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
dvarapala

zmu Crashes, Can't Edit Zones

Post by dvarapala »

On my fresh install of Fedora 20 + fresh install of ZM 1.28.0 from the ZM repo, when I go to edit a zone, the web UI hangs - any attempt to open a new window results in an empty frame and a "waiting for data" message. Running top from the command line shows a zmu process sucking up 100% of one CPU; this appears to be what is stalling the web UI. Attaching to this zmu process with gdb shows it has crashed with a SIGSEGV, apparently by trying to acquire a bogus mutex.

In order to recover I have to kill off all of the ZoneMinder processes and restart ZM.
knight-of-ni

Re: zmu Crashes, Can't Edit Zones

Post by knight-of-ni »

It is going to be a bit before I can sit down in front of a Fedora 20 ZoneMinder system attached to live cameras to see if I can duplicate this.

Some have reported zmu segfaults with hashed authentication enabled. Another user could use hashed authentication but could not enable AUTH_HASH_IPS. These options may seem unrelated, but when they are turned on, zoneminder will start calling the various internal processes using the selected method. You should be able to quickly determine if this has anything to do with your issue or not. Make sure and restart zoneminder each time you make a change.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Hooray, zoneminder.com is back up.

I did have a chance to fire up my zoneminder instance on Fedora 20, but I was not able to duplicate the issue you are experiencing. First try turning off authentication as mentioned previously.

If that is not the cause of the issue, then we are going to need to know more about your system.
In a previous thread I believe you mentioned that you have upgrade from 1.26.5 and are using Arecont cameras.
Which Arecont camera are you using? At the moment, zoneminder has a hardwired limit of 3MP, so if you are using one of their 180 or 360 deg. panoramic view cameras, you may be hitting that limit.
How many cameras do you have?
frame rate?

Have you tried a different camera?
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
dvarapala

Post by dvarapala »

Actually this is not an upgrade, it's a completely fresh install of the OS and ZM (due to a failed HD). I'm not using ZM's authentication at all, so I guess you can rule that out. I have 11 IP cameras, only one is an Arecont Vision, and none are over 3MP, yet zmu crashes on all of them.

FWIW. :D
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Running out of ideas here.
Are you using the 32 or 64bit rpm?
How much RAM do you have?

The next step would be to walk through the installation step-by-step, in a painfully slow manner, and note anything you might have done differently, no matter how insignificant, compared to what I have done.

I did this recently to spot what was going wrong with a zoneminder installation on CentOS 6. I even made a youtube video. I've been thinking about creating a video for Fedora 20 since the installation steps are slightly different. I'll do that over the weekend.
dvarapala

Post by dvarapala »

So I started over again from scratch with a complete re-install of Fedora 20 as well as ZM from the repo. This time I installed only those packages which were absolutely needed in order for ZM to run. Currently everything is working with no seg faults.

Last time I installed a few other things onto the system along with ZoneMinder; my suspicion is that there is a conflict with one of those other packages I installed. Now that I have a working baseline I will pay closer attention to what I install from now on and see if I can narrow down which package(s) are causing things to break.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Thanks for the follow up. If you ever do discover what caused the issue, please let us know.
Maybe there is something we can do about it to prevent the problem from happening.

On a side note, it does not appear that the zoneminder mail server recovered from the last outage. I'm not getting messages when a thread is updated so my responses may be delayed.