Need replacment ip camera

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.27.x releases only.
liderbug

Need replacment ip camera

Post by liderbug »

Looks like my Anran ar-24nr-ip-ip2 just died. Date/time show, screen black. Other than the cost of replacement I won't shed a tear - MS Windows only rtsp POS.

Suggestions please. My requirements: p1080 and able to telnet to it like Axis. Something that doesn't auto-reboot every 2 days. I've got an Axis 210 I really like but it's only 640.

Thanks
cal
carcachute

Re: Need replacment ip camera

Post by carcachute »

I found a picture of the Anran camera and the body looks exactly like Hikvision's mini bullets. Is it a clone or perhaps private labelled?

I acquired two Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cams a couple weeks ago and the experience has been very good. They do 1080p @ 30fps or 2048x1536 @ 25fps. The web interface requires ActiveX for a few things such as adjusting the wide dynamic range feature or adding motion zones, but otherwise works with whatever browser you want. I view the live streams on mine with VLC. You can set it to allow telnetting in.

The main stream can be set for constant bit rate or fixe quality with a maximum bit rate (which is what I do).
Only H.264 is supported on the main stream, which can be set to 16:9 (1080p or 720p) or 4:3 (2048x1536). The secondary stream is fixed at 4:3 or slightly wider and shows the 16:9 image squished to fit. Secondary stream can be set for MJPEG with its own frame rate; I use about 6fps 352x240 MJPEG for ZoneMinder motion detection and have the machine recording 24/7 direct from the H.264 main stream outside of ZoneMInder. The H.264 compression is very capable and conveys good quality.

These cams are on a whole other level compared to what I've suffered through with D-Link.

I haven't experienced any flaky behavior, bugs, or reboots. They're also built nicely (all metal) and come with a drill template. They do not come with a power supply but take a regular 12VDC jack or use POE.

Mine are gray market cams that I got from "CCTV camera China" on Aliexpress. It took about two weeks to get them. They came with the 5.2.0 "multi lingual" firmware which defaults to English and has the day of the week in English on the OSD. It doesn't seem to understand daylight savings time but otherwise I have zero complaints about the firmware or the performance.

In fact the only issue I'm having is that ZoneMinder can't handle the H.264 video efficiently (yet) so my recordings are completely separate.
liderbug

Post by liderbug »

ActiveX doesn't run on Linux. Although I have worked around using ffmpeg & vlc. And I would have been happy but Anran won't hand out the password. I can telnet to the camera but without login/pw I can't get in. If I could I could reset, turn the auto restart off etc. The image is a good image but it's the mentality of "we know better than you do".
carcachute

Post by carcachute »

I'm aware ActiveX isn't on Linux. I use a Mac and the Linux machine runs ZM. To configure Wide Dynamic Range I have to get access to a Windows machine, and only because they are instant-update instead of requiring one press the Save button. With a non-IE browser a couple of the settings don't show up. Fortunately I have a Windows box at the office and don't have to adjust if often, and 90% of the settings work fine otherwise. I do not use on-camera motion detection.

A Windows machine is also helpful for the initial setup, because the cameras ship with IP address 192.0.0.6 (I know, right?) and the Windows utility can quickly and conveniently change it to DHCP.

Viewing the live stream is easiest with VLC.
liderbug

Post by liderbug »

Well here's the latest. I emailed Anran and received: "You need a Windows box and set ActiveX to enable on everything. You can download ActiveX HERE". So I did - still didn't fix viewing problem. And now for the bad news - twas my wife's Win8 computer and it popped up with 12 viruses that were all dated yesterday - and she is pissed!!! - at me. Hello couch.

Any cameras that emulates Axis - meaning telnet and doesn't require f'n windoz. RTSP, got that working.

Thanks
liderbug

Post by liderbug »

Has anyone tried a Raspberry Pi? with camera?
liderbug

Post by liderbug »

Thought I'd do an update. I already had a RasPi board so I ordered a camera for $25. It showed up yesterday and it took me about 2 minutes to install it. Another 3 minutes to stick the camera through the hole in the garage wall and pin it outside. The camera itself is a 1"x1" board with a small button in the middle at the end of a 6" ribbon cable. Then "ssh -X pi@raspi" and run raspistill -o image.jpg - (well I did have to do a few minutes of setup, playing, etc) and woop-woop - there's my truck in the driveway.

Now I will say I'm not sure I like the software configuration - it takes a still and streams it, takes a still and... takes a still and... but it works and there is good side effect. The still is stored in /tmp/stream/pic.jpg which makes it available to add a time stamp (convert) and ftp to Wunderground (see KCOBLACK1)

Zoneminder: Remote,Modect http,regexp,raspi,8080,?action-stream,1280,1024. An interesting fact. The RasPi camera uses the -w -h inputs which can be -w 320 -h 240 or -w 1280 -h 1024 up to -w 2592 -h 1944 for the full 5 meg image. In my playing I set it to 2592x480 and it gave me a 2592x480 image. Kind of a waste of the other 4 meg but I can see a use for that kind of image.

I'm just getting started and there are all sorts of command line options: IE --rotation 0-359, timelaspe, lighting, 1080P ..... and other SW - it's going to be a busy day.