how to capture video

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.27.x releases only.
rodeored

how to capture video

Post by rodeored »

I've looked at the documentation but I don't see it. I also tried to search the forum but the forum search ignores the word "capture"
How to I capture the video to disk?
TheKorn

Re: how to capture video

Post by TheKorn »

rodeored

Post by rodeored »

My function is on Record. Now where are the videos?
rodeored

Post by rodeored »

Under "paths" in the option is an option for an image path, but it just says "images" . Where is the images directory? Its not in the top directory.
There's nothing in /var/lib/zoneminder/images/
There's nothing in /var/lib/zoneminder/events/Monitor-1
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

Do you have any event recorded for this camera? (check for the number under the events column for the camera you want)

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

The events are stored as images not as video. You can have ZM convert the images to video (assuming ffmpeg is installed and working properly) by selecting the 'Video' option, selecting the options you want, and clicking 'GENERATE VIDEO'.
rodeored

Post by rodeored »

PacoLM wrote:Do you have any event recorded for this camera? (check for the number under the events column for the camera you want)
No there are no events. I have the function set on record so it records all the time.
rodeored

Post by rodeored »

linuxsense wrote:The events are stored as images not as video. You can have ZM convert the images to video (assuming ffmpeg is installed and working properly) by selecting the 'Video' option, selecting the options you want, and clicking 'GENERATE VIDEO'.
Where is the "Video" option? There is no "Video" tab on the options page
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

In the event view window.
rodeored

Post by rodeored »

linuxsense wrote:In the event view window.
I can open an event window, but as there are no events, nothing is there. I have tried "Record" and "Mocord". Still no events.
Are events supposed to be created when everything is being recorded? The image works, there are no errors, the log says the images are being captured. Why are there no events?

2014-05-24 19:36:35.420977 zmc_m2 3099 INF Monitor-2: 481000 - Capturing at 9.90 fps zm_monitor.cpp 2598
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

Even if you are just using 'Record' you should still have a series of recordings available to view for each monitor. By default I believe they will be separated into 10 minute long 'events'. When you view the main web interface does it have anything listed under the 'Hour' column? It should show '6' for each monitor set to record or mocord. A bug existed in 1.27 a while back that resulted in no events showing up in the web interface but it was fixed in the git repo over a month ago. Assuming you pulled your source from the repo recently this should not be a problem. It makes me wonder if you have several versions of files on your system and your current config is pulling older files in a different path instead of the correct and newer versions. Try this. As root (or via sudo) do 'updatedb' (you may be prompted to install some software if it does not exist) and once the update is done do 'locate functions.php' (or perhaps 'locate functions.php | more' if the list is long) so you can see if several versions of that file are on the system. They will of course show up in any location that has source, you only need to pay attention to files that are in locations like '/var/www/zm', '/usr/local/', etc. I dont know your config so I cant say for sure where the 'real' one should be but it should be pretty clear if you have several different versions of zoneminder files out there.

This shows the update that fixed the 'no events' bug, but keep in mind this might not be your issue, its just a good place to start.

https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinde ... c0bfee1d97
rodeored

Post by rodeored »

I don't have anything listed under hours except "0"
I installed zoneminder on 5/18 on a fresh install of Fedora 20
Howerver, it does appear that the version I got wasn't fixed.
I replaced the red line with the green line from the git commit. and restarted zoneminders. Thanks for the tip.
It doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Anything else I can check?
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

I would be concerned that you grabbed some old source to build from since you built it recently but that bug was fixed at least a month prior. Grab the current source from the git repo and build it again. Stop ZM and you should have no issues installing over the old installation. Once done with that I would crank up the debug level and see what you can find in the logs, it will almost certainly point you in the right direction. Also, make sure you have the current mySQL database layout. If you want someone to do this for you send me a PM, I have been a consultant for about 20 years and I do stuff like this all the time.
rodeored

Post by rodeored »

That explains it, I have 1.25, which is the newest version available from the Yum repository.

A couple weeks ago I built and installed 1.27 but I coudn't find any instructions for installing a virtual host for zoneminder on Fedora. I still don't understand virtual hosts or why the documentation is so hard to find. I can find pages for older versions of Fedora such as http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fed ... hosts.html

But that doesn't seem applicable at all. It says there should be a line starting with "<virtualHost" in /etc/httpd/conf|httpd.conf. Now I have a virtual host for zoneminder set up from the package and there is nothing like that there. Apparently the procedure for setting up a virtual host in Fedora is now totally different. It probably in that file somewhere but I would like to know where.

When I go to the page for Fedora 20, I can't find anything about virtual hosts.
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/index.html

So I would rather not reinstall, but if I do I would like some more info about how to set up a virtual host on Fedora 20.