Quick Yay or Nay..... dual function

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.
RyGy7

Quick Yay or Nay..... dual function

Post by RyGy7 »

on 1.26.5 I currently use the record feature for 24hr loops. Is it possible to make a source both record and motion detect? I like recording but would also like alerts on movements. (currently doing separate from ZM with camera default software).

I've searched but not coming up with definitive answer.

thanks in advance.
mikb

Re: Quick Yay or Nay..... dual function

Post by mikb »

Not both at once, but have you tried setting up two "monitors" on the same hardware camera, one configured for constant recording , and one for motion detection?
Last edited by mikb on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyGy7

Post by RyGy7 »

I don't think I follow what you mean.... I've tried 1 physical camera but adding it twice to zm. zm complains the IP already in use. Can you give a better example if your theory would be different?
Nerre

Post by Nerre »

Isn't that what Mocord does?
mikb

Post by mikb »

Mocord doesn't do both at once -- it records events that are motion, interspersed with events that are not motion.

You can set up multiple entries for IP cameras (not sure about /dev/video style capture devices) -- 1 physical camera added as two "monitors" in ZoneMinder speak. There shouldn't be a problem with that, certainly in 1.25 I've had the same camera set as 1 "FPS time lapse" continuous, while also doing double-duty as motion-detected 7 FPS. No special trick to it, just added the camera twice with different settings.

If someone's put in a rule to prevent this in later ZM versions, that would seem a backward step.
RyGy7

Post by RyGy7 »

mikb YOU ARE CORRECT!! That did work! This is a new build for me, I had previously had 1.26 on a virtual machine that I deleted when I moved hypervisor. I recall trying once with that one and having issues.

Thanks! :D
mikb

Post by mikb »

> "zm complains the IP already in use"

Glad you got it sorted. Show ZM who's the boss! :)
SteveGilvarry

Post by SteveGilvarry »

Maybe just try Mocord to see if that does what you want, could come down to how we interpret your question, but most people that record 24x7 and want motion flagged would be using Mocord.
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)