How Do I Put The Pieces Together?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.
cwalins

How Do I Put The Pieces Together?

Post by cwalins »

I am currently using Ubuntu 15.04 MATE on a 32 bit AMD Sempron laptop. I downloaded Zoneminder 1.26.5-1ubuntu7 from the Software Center and it shows as installed on my computer. My question is how do get this program running? I understand that I need to run this from a terminal and I am using the MATE terminal. I tried to run the individual programs (zma, zmaudit.pl, and the others) from the terminal, but all I get are messages telling me that I need to specify options or a message telling me to specify a monitor. I believe I need a V4L program and I have VLC Media Player, which I think fulfils this requirement. Also, I believe I need a web browser and I have Firefox. What I do not understand is how to integrate all the individual components, which I seem to have, and get a working software system.
Gary S

Re: How Do I Put The Pieces Together?

Post by Gary S »

This page should help you get going.
https://bkjaya.wordpress.com/2014/04/27 ... 04-64-bit/
It is for 64 bit, but 32 bit works similar.

Once you have it running as a service in the background, you can view it by opening Firefox and putting 127.0.0.1/zm in the URL box.
cwalins

Post by cwalins »

Thanks, I will give that a try.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

See: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... e_easy_way

Since you have already installed Zoneminder start after: Add delay to allow MySQL to start before Zoneminder

Oh, did you install LAMP? (PHP, Apache and MySQL?)
cwalins

Post by cwalins »

I did not know LAMP and the others existed. I guess I have more homework to do.
mikb

Post by mikb »

It's not LAMP *and* the others, LAMP *is* the others :)

It stands for

Linux
Apache
MySQL
Perl

It looks like you've got a bit of reading ahead of you, but it will all be worthwhile.

You may well already have Apache and Perl installed, if you have linux. You may need to configure and switch Apache on ...
cwalins

Post by cwalins »

While I was installing MySQL I was given the option to make up a password and verify it, and I did. Now my question is should I have established a password? Will this be an issue with Zoneminder? Should I remove MySQL and re-install without a password?
cwalins

Post by cwalins »

Ignore my last post. I got an image with a web cam connected to my computer. I thank all who helped me get to this point.