Undersized PC?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.
llandre

Undersized PC?

Post by llandre »

I installed zoneminder 1.26.5 on a Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1007U @ 1.50GHz with 4GB RAM.
I'm experiencing several issues. A couple of examples:
- even if in the montage page I see that a camera status switches from idle to alarm, no alarm events are recorded
- motion events that have 0.0 seconds duration.

Since I never used zoneminder before, I probably have not configured it properly yet. However I first would like to verify if the PC it runs on provides enough horsepower. According to console page, load is constantly below 2. This should be fine since my processor integrates two cores. On the other side I have problems that seems to be unrelated and this looks like the "Bad Things happen" case described here: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Managing_Load.
I connected 3 Ubiquiti Networks AirCam cameras:
- 640 x 368 @ 3 fps (2)
- 320 x 176 @ 3 fps.

Do you think the PC is actually undersized?
If yes, which processor do you think fits my configuration?

Thank you very much in advance.
mikb

Re: Undersized PC?

Post by mikb »

llandre wrote:I installed zoneminder 1.26.5 on a Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1007U @ 1.50GHz with 4GB RAM.

- 640 x 368 @ 3 fps (2)
- 320 x 176 @ 3 fps.

IMO: No. I'm running on a Intel Core 2, 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM, with 6 x IP Cameras at 640x480 at 5FPS. Load around 4.00-6.00 and no real problems.

Problems only kick in for the "scheduled tasks" stuff from the page you linked,e.g. system backups, web browser starting to suck memory and CPU lifting the load to 8-9+. But only passing hiccups.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

There are lots of things that can put a camera into alarm. Light and dark from passing clouds will do it in the warehouse I monitor. Your PC should do OK with those four cameras. I ran 14 IP cameras and one USB on a Dual Core 2.4 GHZ with 8 GIG of RAM on MODECT. Have moved up to a Quad Core with 8 GIG of RAM with those 15 cameras and now run MOCORD. Had some issues that I tracked to the 2nd hand hard drive. So I upgraded yesterday to a new Western Digital 1 TB SATA drive and the system is working much easier. I have tried some hard drive tweaks in the fstab file but can't prove that it helped any. bb
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

llandre wrote:I installed zoneminder 1.26.5 on a Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1007U @ 1.50GHz with 4GB RAM.
I'm experiencing several issues. A couple of examples:
- even if in the montage page I see that a camera status switches from idle to alarm, no alarm events are recorded
- motion events that have 0.0 seconds duration.

Since I never used zoneminder before, I probably have not configured it properly yet. However I first would like to verify if the PC it runs on provides enough horsepower. According to console page, load is constantly below 2. This should be fine since my processor integrates two cores. On the other side I have problems that seems to be unrelated and this looks like the "Bad Things happen" case described here: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Managing_Load.
- 640 x 368 @ 3 fps (2)
- 320 x 176 @ 3 fps.

If yes, which processor do you think fits my configuration?

Thank you very much in advance.
For this camera configuration you could even use a iCubox or a BeagleBoneBlack with ZM1.25...

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
llandre

Post by llandre »

Thank you all for your answers.
I think I can exclude PC power is not enough then. I have to look elsewhere.