Streaming vs. JPEG single shots / best practice

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.
Markymark

Streaming vs. JPEG single shots / best practice

Post by Markymark »

Hi,

once again a basic question. Could somebody please give me a hint, what would be the most effective way to realise motion detection with respect to

- network load
- server load for processing motion detection
- quality of motion detection

From what I understand, besides MJPEG, MPEG-4 and H.264 even capturing single shot JPEG would be an alternative. The last mentioned is what I do at the moment.

I would even be happy with a link for further reading.

Thanks again,

Mark
mikb

Re: Streaming vs. JPEG single shots / best practice

Post by mikb »

Markymark wrote:Hi,
From what I understand, besides MJPEG, MPEG-4 and H.264 even capturing single shot JPEG would be an alternative. The last mentioned is what I do at the moment.
Single shot JPEG is probably the least efficient, IMO, because you have the overhead of making a connection to the camera, and then an HTTP request, waiting for a reply, getting a picture, and probably finding the camera has now closed the connection seeing as you got what you wanted. You then repeat this performance over and over.

The streaming alternatives have to be better, once the stream is set up, you don't need to keep asking for the next frame, they just get fired at you by the camera.
pyroman

Post by pyroman »

Im not sure about using mpeg. I get more stable results with jpeg. CPU load is lower too, if I remember right.
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

I found this very interesting article:

TechTip_09.pdf (please google - as a new user I was not allowed to post urls)

This might be a little marketing biased but gave me a good basic understanding.

Regards,

Mark
mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

Streams (H264 or even MJPEG) are far more efficient than single image, and you will probably get more frames per second.
The way it works:
MJPEG (image stream): Client connects to the server, server is continuously sending frames over the socket. The client is constantly reading the socket and extracting frames from socket.
JPEG (single image): Client connects to the server, receives an image, disconnects, connects again, receives another image, disconnects and so on.
Kfir Itzhak.