Mocord monitor always recording

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.
digitel

Mocord monitor always recording

Post by digitel »

Mi first and only monitor setup in Mocord mode, produce continuous events thus it records from camera constantly
Every 600 seconds (the "section length" i suppose) a new event is generated
Of course the problem is there are no movements where camera is pointing.......
Camera is an Axis 2100

Any suggestion ??
Thanks
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (39.87 KiB) Viewed 19144 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (31.92 KiB) Viewed 19144 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (91.25 KiB) Viewed 19144 times
chippy99

Re: Mocord monitor always recording

Post by chippy99 »

If you only want to record when motion is detected select modect not mocord. It is explained here
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

You may have a linked monitor.

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
chippy99

Post by chippy99 »

Linked to what ? He only has one monitor.
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

You're right, quick reading, bad answer...

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
digitel

Post by digitel »

Hi
Monitor control seems to be related to pan/tilt capability of cameras....

From wiki instead :

None – The monitor is currently disabled and no streams can be viewed or events generated.
Monitor – The monitor will only stream feeds but no image analysis is done and so no alarms or events will be generated,
Modect – or MOtion DEteCTtion. All captured images will be analysed and events generated where motion is detected.
Record – In this case continuous events of a fixed length are generated regardless of motion which is analogous to a convention time-lapse video recorder. No motion detection takes place in this mode.
Mocord – This is a hybrid of Modect and Record and results in both fixed length events being recorded and also any motion being highlighted within those events.
Nodect – or No DEteCTtion. This is a special mode designed to be used with external triggers. In Nodect no motion detection takes place but events are recorded if external triggers require it.

I've understood Mocord is both motion detection plus recording
Nodect = No detection = how can the system understand when and what to record ???

Probably i'm a little bit confused......
mikb

Post by mikb »

digitel wrote: Nodect – or No DEteCTtion. This is a special mode designed to be used with external triggers. In Nodect no motion detection takes place but events are recorded if external triggers require it.

Nodect = No detection = how can the system understand when and what to record ???
The clue is in the line you quoted: Zoneminder will not analyse the content of the pictures, and will not record anything. UNLESS an external event says "Record this!". It bypasses the motion detection analysis.

So for example an external trigger could be a physical alarm: Beam break, PIR, door vibration ... this would be wired to the computer and picked up in software (you customise that bit), and passed to ZM as an external trigger.
The reason for the trigger is recorded against the event, so more than just "Motion" or "Forced Record" etc.

Or you could program something, e.g.record this camera if (time is XX:XX), or (user X has logged on to computer under surveillance), or ... anything.
digitel

Post by digitel »

I thougth that motion detection would generate an event , thus this event would start the recoding. I understood mocord was this.....
Ok for nodect=no movement detection so an external trigger/event will start recording, but I need recording to start when my camera detects something moving ...
Am I even more confused ????
digitel

Post by digitel »

Aha,

Probably I confused MOdect with NOdect...........

In effect MOdect or MOtion DEteCTtion. All captured images will be analysed and events generated where motion is detected.

But....does itself also START recording ???

Because if NOT , the whole thing isn't clear at all.....
mikb

Post by mikb »

OK let's try again, hopefully not confusing this time :)

In RECORD mode, images are pulled from the camera and filed. All the time. An event is created every (e.g.) 600 seconds to stop you getting a never-ending video.

In MODECT mode, images are continually pulled from the camera, analysed, and ONLY filed/recorded if movement is found, for as long as movement is still found. All the boring bits, where nothing happened, are thrown away.

(So yes, MODECT will begin a recording by creating an event, filing pictures under that event, and eventually stop recording when the motion stops.)

MOCORD does BOTH of these things in turn. It creates an event for movements, but it ALSO files all the boring bits between, as a separate (maybe long!) event.

You can tell the two event types apart, because the "reason" for the event is filed in the database too, so you can tell if it was caused by motion, or caused by just plain old recording of a gap.

It does eventually make sense, honestly!

Thinks: Maybe it's a language thing. An "event" is a combination of a recording (lots of stills) and the information about that recording - time, length, reason, alarm score, etc. etc.
digitel

Post by digitel »

Ok Clearer now,

For a newbie , it would be better if description says :

Modect – or MOtion DEteCTtion. All captured images will be analysed and recorded and events generated where motion is detected.

Thank you very much for patience.
WOWaccess

Post by WOWaccess »

Have you ever had an issue where u can see live video, but you cant view event recordings? I need help please
fastolfe

Post by fastolfe »

digitel wrote: For a newbie , it would be better if description says :
I actually had the same observation when reading this wiki for the first time. Since it's a wiki I just went in and tried to improve the descriptions a little bit to make this clearer.