ZMLarch ISO - trying to install, but crashes / freezes

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.
ScottBouch

ZMLarch ISO - trying to install, but crashes / freezes

Post by ScottBouch »

Hi All, first post here... Sorry to bring issues!

I downloaded the ISO from: thesecurityinstaller: The current release on June 30, 2009 is ZMLarch_1.24.2-1.iso

I have tried to use it to install from two different memory sticks, and a DVD, but each time I try, it locks up at various points of the install process. Sometimes it will lock up while loading the GUI desktop. Sometimes the desktop loads, and it locks up when I open / browse the "start" menu (sorry for the Windows reference). I have tried running GParted, and had it lock up while using it. I have tried running the installer several times, and had it lock up at random points. Also the graphics / text can go a little funky if I resize windows / move the mouse around while things are happening.

I have previously formatted the HDD to EXT4 using another Ubuntu machine. I have tried two different HDD's int he PC. The PC is a DELL Dimension 1100 with 2GB RAM, 80GB IDE HDD. It obtains an IP address form the router over Ethernet happily on boot up. Monitor is connected via VGA to Motherboard.

I had provided the link to the OC, but the forum banned me from sharing it with you as I'm a new user... Google for Dell Dimension 1100, and Dell's website has info.

Do you chaps recommend any particular ISO image burner to set up the memory stick or DVD / CD? It may be that the one I'm using is corrupting it slightly?

EDIT: I have version 1.24, so have accidentally posted this in the wrong part of the forum, apologies....

Cheers, Scott.
chippy99

Re: ZMLarch ISO - trying to install, but crashes / freezes

Post by chippy99 »

Have never tried ZMLarch but since it has not been updated in 4 years it would seem to be a dead project and you will not be getting all the latest updates to ZM.
Why not just install a distro (Ubuntu, Mint, Centos seem popular) and then install ZoneMinder. There is plenty of documentation on this site covering installing ZoneMinder in the Wiki.
ScottBouch

Post by ScottBouch »

Thanks,

I'd not spent too much time doing my research, just came across the ISO distro from the ZM wiki, and it seemed like a good idea.

I'll do as you say and install a version on Linux, may try Mint, as I've not been near it before, and then install SQL, and all the other bits manually.

Thanks, Scott.
ScottBouch

Post by ScottBouch »

Hi, I got around this by installing Ununtu 10.04 and followed the guide for installing ZM, SQL etc..

I now have another issue here: http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 21&t=21583