AMD cpu and 64bit question

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.
theforce

AMD cpu and 64bit question

Post by theforce »

I think I remember a while back that the speed improvements for image processing only worked on intel based cpu's with SSE and only 32bit OS. Am I wrong on this? I currently run an AMD athlon ii x4 640 and kubuntu 64bit. Will the new optimizations work with this combo?
knight-of-ni

Re: AMD cpu and 64bit question

Post by knight-of-ni »

AMD cpus support SSE just like Intel cpus. A while back, I posted quantitative data on the improvements when using libjpeg-turbo (uses SSE) versus libjpeg. It was measurable, and at the time it was on an AMD cpu older that yours.

Also, since your hardware supports it, there is no good reason to run 32bit anymore.

Today, I'm running dual AMD Opteron quad-core cpus on 64bit CentOS. The performance improvement after upgrading to 1.26 was tremendous. Send thanks to mastertheknife for his performance patch.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
theforce

Re: AMD cpu and 64bit question

Post by theforce »

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about upgrading it with my current intel i7 machine and get a new one to use as my main pc but if the new improvements work with AMD 64bit I'll give it a try when I get the time. The reason I asked this was because for some reason I remember reading that the optimizations for the turbo jpeg or something was not compatible with either amd or 64bit or something. I remember trying to use it a long time ago but never could get it working. Never really needed any speed improvements until I upgraded all my cameras from 640x480 to 800x600. I've got my load down to about 2.5 on average and about 3.0 when viewing montage mode. I managed to do that by off loading the motion detection from the server to the axis cameras. I dont really like it that way but it seems to work pretty good.