Dealing with dark/light "blinking" during the day

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
joseph85750

Dealing with dark/light "blinking" during the day

Post by joseph85750 »

I currently have a Foscam compatible camera (GigaEye), and daily have an issue between around 11am and 3pm when the sun is relatively high. The video will blink between dark/light quicky, often several times/second. This of course triggers alarms in ZoneMinder. So, in 1 day I may end up with 500+ alarms.
Over the years, I've had several different Foscam compatible cameras, and have seen this issue before. Here's a video capture of one of the alarms:

http://microflush.org/stuff/videos/blinkVideo.mpg

Is there a setting or a zone adjustment I can make to reduce these alarms?

My ZM version is 1.25.0

Thanks!
mikb

Re: Dealing with dark/light "blinking" during the day

Post by mikb »

joseph85750 wrote:Is there a setting or a zone adjustment I can make to reduce these alarms?
How long does the blinky continue for, all day between 11 and 3, or does it just happen at the start and end of that period?

If it's all of that time, I'd look at repositioning the camera, or replacing it with one that isn't confused by bright lights, because that's going to be a lot of ignoring going on, it could mean the camera ends up being basically useless :(
joseph85750

Post by joseph85750 »

It blinks continuously for that time range.
I thought maybe there was a configuration that would eliminate contrast/brightness changes from the criteria used in detecting motion.
There's not much I can do to reposition the camera, since that is the angle I need.
My next idea is to make use of some polarized glass to see if I can reduce the glare from the driveway.

Thanks!
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Have you tried increasing the "Overload Frame Ignore Count" in the zone settings?
Christo

Post by Christo »

Hello Joseph,

For explenation see : http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 29&t=19582

Kind regards, Christo