Setting Up Cams in ZM/Ubuntu-Server

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
anchoret

Setting Up Cams in ZM/Ubuntu-Server

Post by anchoret »

After a great deal of effort and well-intentioned but unhelpful keyboard assistance from the cat, I got Ubuntu Server 12.4.3 and ZM installed yesterday using the guide in the Wiki and can raise the basic ZM screen on the browsers in the other computers in the network.

Dunno if this means if everything is perfect, but let's assume it's OK and take it from there.

I am not getting anywhere with configuration in getting any cameras up, and am not sure I fully understand the process. I wish to use the laptop's native webcam, two TrendNet IP cams (supposedly ZM-compatible), and whatever random USB webcams I can get to work. The laptop's 'cam works beautifully in Ubuntu Live, and the various USB ones work with varying quality.

These show up in dir as /dev/video0, /dev/video1, etc., as the USB ones are added, and lsusb shows them (the IP cams are up on W7, but I haven't messed with them in ZM yet).

The recommended command for getting the camera info in the wiki:

zmu -d /dev/video0 -q -v

...with any of the devices errors out

I'm assuming I'm making some kind of serious error somewhere, but if so, I don't see it from the Wiki.

Any help getting me rolling with this thing will be appreciated.