Foscam fi9821

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
cfwilk

Foscam fi9821

Post by cfwilk »

Has anyone on the planet gotten this Foscam device to work with ZM 1.25?!

I have used non-HD Foscams no problem - can't get or find anyone who has right settings for Foscam 9821.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!
skydreamer

Re: Foscam fi9821

Post by skydreamer »

I have it working with no issues, the camera is actually very good with wide viewing angle. The only downside is that you can focus either the centre or the sides of the picture but not both.

You can follow the Wiki for Foscam cameras or do you have any specific issue? How did you set it up?

on the source page:

Protocol http, method simple, host path /cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=, 24 bit colour, 1280x720
cfwilk

Post by cfwilk »

My App Firmware Version is 1.1.1.13, btw - is that yours?

I have tried hundreds of Source Types, Protocols, Methods, Host Names, Host Paths, etc.

In addition, I have a VERY skilled friend at work who makes a living "hacking" Linux and he's played with it for me. He says it seems as if Foscam has the RTSP stream in some kind of "wrapper" so that it's not being interpreted. In fact, we can't even get the RTSP Stream to work in VLC or anywhere.

Are you able to?

I am open for any suggestions - been fighting with this for months.

Thanks for reply.
skydreamer

Post by skydreamer »

Yes, 1.1.1.13 is the latest firmware and I have it installed on the Foscam cameras.

Did you try the settings that I posted in my first reply?

I did not play with the rtsp stream so cannot confirm your findings.
cfwilk

Post by cfwilk »

Yes I did. I tried it with your string, WITH a username, with a password, without a password, etc. No luck.
skydreamer

Post by skydreamer »

I beg your pardon the string is actually longer:
/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=username&pwd=password

substitute username and password for the foscam credentials

If this does not work then try to open the below link in a browser:

http://yourwebcam/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi ... d=password

Again substitute yourwebcam for either the name or ipaddress of the foscam device.

It MUST open a snapshot from the webcam, if it does not you have some other issue- network or credentials.
cfwilk

Post by cfwilk »

The string still not working in ZM but it DOES give me the correct snapshot in a browser.

Using "mycameraip" for Host Name - pretty sure that's right but I'll try anything.

Thanks for continued replies.
skydreamer

Post by skydreamer »

Cool, just double checking do you have any other camera currently connected to zoneminder that is working?
I want to rule out zm configuration issues.

Other than that your source page of the foscam camera should be set to the values listed above.

What do you get on your camera feed in zoneminder- a black frame or nothing at all?
Flasheart

Post by Flasheart »

The shared memory settings may well need tweaking - see the Wiki FAQ and search for "shmall". The number there may need to be bigger than given for megapixel.

And read the logs - /var/log/syslog is where zm mutters constantly (in debian and ubuntu at least)
cfwilk

Post by cfwilk »

Thank you VERY much for replies but it's working!

Source Type: Ffmpeg
Source Path: rtsp://username:password@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80/videoMain

I had tried that string before but never tried the ":80" because I always used the default port of 80.

Thanks again! I think I'm gonna get one or two more now unless someone has a better cam to suggest.
cfwilk

Post by cfwilk »

One more thing now that I have video - can you direct me to a working .pm file for Control? I found several for the VGA model Foscams I used to have - I eventually got one to work perfectly and I accidentally lost it when I wiped my ZM machine. Thanks.
marvel

Post by marvel »

Don't mean to resurrect an old thread but this seemed the best place for this info.

I had a really rough time getting my FI9821 working with Zoneminder. The final fix was nearly identical to that posted here, I just had to change the rtsp port to 88:

rtsp://username:password@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:88/videoMain

Wanted to leave this here in case somebody else has trouble with one of these cameras. Now, I need to figure out how to control the PTZ functions via Zoneminder...
skydreamer

Post by skydreamer »

I found these cameras so unreliable i.e. randomly locking up and rebooting for no reason that they had to be replaced after one year in use with similar class cameras TV-IP672P. I would have preferred using Foscam for their wide angle of view but my experience and general feedback from other owners made me to bite the bullet and swap them out. Foscams worked fine for the first three months and the trouble started later. I even tried to replace the original power supplies but no improvement.
marvel

Post by marvel »

I'm not incredibly impressed with mine, to tell you the truth. It was twice the physical size I expected, far too large to put discretely in my home so it wound up in the garage. I can't say I've seen it lock up yet, but the firmware is iffy and leaves a lot to be desired. I won't be buying any more of them.

I just installed an Axis M1054 in the spot where the Foscam was going to go. It was 4.5x the price of the Foscam, but you really do get what you pay for. I love it and will probably buy more Axis cameras.