Extremely Poor Performance...

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
gmalsack

Extremely Poor Performance...

Post by gmalsack »

Hello All,

I have 12 IP cameras, 2 vivotek and 10 trendnet. All poe, all static ip addresses, the trendnet are mjpg, and vivotek are rtsp. All are running 640x480, 7.5 Max fps. The server is a dell 2950 dual quad core xeon 2.66ghz, 16gb ram, 3 raid 1 arrays. 1 for the os, and 1 as part of an lvm for image storage. OS Is Ubuntu 12.04LTS Server x64. ZoneMinder installed via apt.

Problems that I have experienced, is when I was running in motion detect mode, server load was extremely high, and more often then not events missed muliple simultaneous frames, making the recorded events worthless at times. I switched the systems over to record rather then motion detect. The system load is much lower, and watching the video streams live do not seem to miss as many frames anymore. However, none of the events play for more then a second or 2. It seems to rotate the events in 10 minute intervals, however I can never watch more then a couple seconds of an event. Even if I have it converted to a video either avi or mpeg. the videos are rather small in size (less then a meg usually), and only include a few seconds.

Cameras are all connected to a managed 10/100 switch, with an aggregated 2gb uplink to the dell server.

What could I be missing????

Thanks!
Greg
kuehnem

Re: Extremely Poor Performance...

Post by kuehnem »

Others with more experience might have better suggestions, but here are my suggestions. Separate /var onto a separate partition from /. A separate physical drive or RAID array is even better. If I understand what you said about your setup, you can just set all the drives up in that server as RAID 5 and then create separate partitions during install. For example, in my servers each have 3 2TB drives, RAID 5, 80GB for / 24GB for swap and the rest to /var (which ZM will run in). Try running record only instead of motion. Or you can also try motion on only your RSTP cameras coming in through FFMPEG.

This guide for ubuntu server install works well - http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... e_easy_way.