Playback quality is quite poor. Any solution to this?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
roasted

Playback quality is quite poor. Any solution to this?

Post by roasted »

Here's a short screencast of what I'm seeing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHgCa7GT ... e=youtu.be

Any idea what else I can do? I set JPG quality to the highest possible and adjusted the bandwidth to be high. I'm on a gigabit LAN. I'm not really sure what else I can adjust here.

Camera is a Vivotek IP8332, 1280x800 @ 5 FPS, using ffmpeg as the source with the RTSP stream. Server is a decent dual core box with 2GB of RAM. It's a test box with nothing on it... fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 and ZM 1.25 from the repos.
Flasheart

Re: Playback quality is quite poor. Any solution to this?

Post by Flasheart »

That looks a lot like MPEG artifacting, which will be down to the camera end rather than zoneminder. Several cameras do this occasionally, especially in low light level.

If the vivotek will do it, using mjpeg or jpg stills as a feed instead. Higher bandwidth requirements, but you don't get this stuff.
roasted

Post by roasted »

Right now ZoneMinder is not my primary setup. I'm testing it on a spare server I have to see how things go. I haven't ever seen this type of feedback before, whether streaming live through VLC (h264 rtsp) or through mjpg with the Linux software Motion. As a result I find it super hard to believe that it's the camera.....
Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor »

What you have there seems to very quite common when trying to stream RTSP via ffmpeg.

This comes up in the forums at least a few times a month.

But as far as I know there is not yet a fix for zoneminder.
roasted

Post by roasted »

Is there by chance another method to streaming RTSP, or must one use ffmpeg? Is "remote" not applicable for RTSP?

For kicks I'll switch it to mjpg and see what happens... even though I'd love nothing more than to avoid using mjpg on the inbound stream to the server...