Want to get tracking working.

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
DervMan

Want to get tracking working.

Post by DervMan »

Hi there,

I'm going to buy a PTZ camera so I can use the tracking function. I can't find much information on the forum or wiki about which cameras work.

Anyone out there have tracking working? If so which camera are you using?

I did borrow an EasyN IP camera which works with ZM (including PTZ) but the enabling the tracking did nothing.

Any thoughts/suggestions or comments very welcome!

Thanks
Flasheart

Re: Want to get tracking working.

Post by Flasheart »

As far as I'm aware, this is beyond the scope of Zoneminder.

It's possible some people have managed to find a way and may post and prove me wrong, but I've not heard of it and can't see how it could work reliably without a lot of hacking and restricting it to a specific camera.

Also I rate life expectancy of cameras which pa/scan a lot very low.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

It was over a year ago when I tried Zoneminder's motion tracking last, but I recall is was easy to turn on (simple check box).

The motion tacking worked, but I also remember it was easy to fool. In my case, after running for a short while, the camera became more interested in the ceiling fan rather than anything else going on in the room. It's possible this could have been compensated by adjusting the motion detection settings, but I did not pursue it.

Any camera listed in the Zoneminder wiki as having working PTZ functions should work with the motion tracking feature.

Try it. Let us know how well it works for you.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
DervMan

Post by DervMan »

Thanks knnniggett