Having issues with Multicam sync

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
Morantz

Having issues with Multicam sync

Post by Morantz »

Hello!

I've been setting up a new ZoneMinder system with 18 D-Link DCS-900 and DCS-910 cameras in it.

I have 4 of these cameras covering the front desk of a hotel. The issue that is happening is that though the cameras are all looking at the same area, there can be a 10-45 second gap between when one camera or another 'sees' someone walk into the area.

htop tells me that the cores of my CPU are only running at about 30% (down from 70% with 1.24.4 with same config...) so what is going on?

Also, would running ZMF help me here? And if so, how do I do that?

Any and all help if very appreciated! Thanks!
Morantz

Re: Having issues with Multicam sync

Post by Morantz »

I got the solution to this from 'mastertheknife' and am posting it here so others can find it with search.

Quoting : <mastertheknife>
------------ Snip -------------
with IP cameras, leave the fps field empty! ZM currently has no way of controlling the FPS of IP cameras the frame per second is set by the other end (the camera) so if the camera is sending 15 frames per second, thats what ZM will receive when it reads the socket

if you put a limit on the FPS (on the ZM side), you will get an ever-increasing delay for example, if you put 15 fps into ZM and the camera is sending at 20 fps thats a delay increasing at a rate of like 0.25 seconds/second

if the delay is constant (not an increasing one) and is fairly small, this is caused by the "pre-event buffer"

I'm using D-Link DCS-900 and DCS-910 Cameras. In the Video settings tab, I had selections for FPS of 1, 5, 7, 15, 20, 30 and auto, so I selected 7 on all of my cameras, and cleared the FPS blocks in the Monitor configuration page. I've let it run for a while now, and everything looks good!

Thanks mastertheknife!
The_Penguin

Re: Having issues with Multicam sync

Post by The_Penguin »

Morantz wrote:I got the solution to this from 'mastertheknife' and am posting it here so others can find it with search.

Quoting : <mastertheknife>
with IP cameras, leave the fps field empty! ZM currently has no way of controlling the FPS of IP cameras the frame per second is set by the other end (the camera) so if the camera is sending 15 frames per second, thats what ZM will receive when it reads the socket

if you put a limit on the FPS (on the ZM side), you will get an ever-increasing delay for example, if you put 15 fps into ZM and the camera is sending at 20 fps thats a delay increasing at a rate of like 0.25 seconds/second

if the delay is constant (not an increasing one) and is fairly small, this is caused by the "pre-event buffer"
That was an awesome tip! My IP cameras are perfect now.
Thanks for re-posting this, and thanks Mastertheknife, you rock!