ACTi ACM-1231 Basic ZM Setup

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
eracc

ACTi ACM-1231 Basic ZM Setup

Post by eracc »

I have built a ZM 1.25.0 VSS (4 GB RAM, 250 GB boot drive, 2 TB storage RAID1 in hot-swap bays, AMD Athlon Quad-core, two network interfaces, Mageia Linux x86_64) that is soon to be shipped to an end-user in Virginia. It is using three ACTi ACM-1231 day/night cameras.

I am making this post in case any of you DiY types don't want to buy a pre-built ZM system from one of us VSS builders. ( :P ) I have attached screen captures of the important parts of the setup for "monitor-1" with one of these cameras in 320x240 mode. This presumes you have already logged into the camera's web interface and changed the appropriate settings as is NON-intuitively documented here. Primarily this is to help you find the video stream for these cameras. Any other setup you will need to figure out on your own. :)
acm-1231_settings-page-1.png
acm-1231_settings-page-1.png (17.56 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
acm-1231_settings-page-2.png
acm-1231_settings-page-2.png (26.44 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
Note that "Admin" and "123456" are the default login ID and password for these cameras.
Last edited by eracc on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eracc

Re: ACTi ACM-1231 Basic ZM Setup

Post by eracc »

For the record. I tried for several hours to get one of these cameras working in 640x480 @ 5 fps with RTSP over UDP. However, even though all the shared memory settings were higher than needed, ZM would show video for the camera for a few seconds, then the monitor would go black, then show a few more seconds, then go black, then maybe show video a few more seconds, but then would never show video again until ZM was restarted. Then that would all happen again. The log kept stating that RTSP was timing out, generating the error "Can't get shared memory id '7a6d0001', 1: No such file or directory", and basically showing many errors over and over for that camera. Multiple adjustments of the shared memory settings never resolved this. So, in desperation, I went searching for a Plain-Jane simple HTTP stream and this post is the result. I tried again today to use one of the cameras with RTSP, but only saw much pain and suffering. So, Plain HTTP it is ...

Now the only problem is the monitor video in ZM becomes out of sync with the video stream by 25 to 30 seconds or so. I am still trying to find a tweak to resolve that. But as long as it does not get much longer than 30 seconds, it is probably "good enough" for the location where it will be used.

Added later: After a bit of experimentation I discovered that having anything in the "Maximum FPS" and "Alarm Maximum FPS" caused this synchronization problem. I started suspecting that I "was doing it wrong" for these IP cameras when I read the section in the Documentation under Monitor Tab about these two fields. Leaving the fields blank appears to have resolved this problem. Time will tell. :) I do not recall having this problem in the past with the Axis camera setups. But then, that has been a while back. It is not like my SOHO business builds these systems that often.