Is it possible to stream 1 zoneminder server into another?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
kevin186

Is it possible to stream 1 zoneminder server into another?

Post by kevin186 »

I know that ZoneMinder can read streams from ip cameras. But I wonder if it can read streams created from another ZoneMinder server as if they were ip cameras with source type set to "remote."

A hypothetical situation would be setting up multiple ZoneMinder servers off site from each other and each having analog cameras attached via an 8 channel video capture card. The servers with the cameras would be set only to Monitor. There would then be a master server which will have no physical cameras attached and will attempt to read the streams created by the other servers.

Has anybody ever tried this?

I may build a second server soon so that I may test this senario.
theforce

Re: Is it possible to stream 1 zoneminder server into anothe

Post by theforce »

Yes you can do that.

Taken from the Zoneminder Wiki http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... ility_List

"Remote systems, themselves running zoneminder, can be accessed as cameras using the Remote Path of /cgi-bin/nph-zms?mode=single&monitor=1&scale=100&maxfps=5&buffer=1000 - where the monitor number is the correct camera on the remote system."
Flasheart

Post by Flasheart »

I do exactly this on an intranet to provide feeds for an old camera that will only allow one client. It works, is well proven, and I'm sorry but you're not the first to think of it. :)

Although, if you were designing such a system, anyone sane would just use IP cameras and negate the need to have servers at each physical site.
kevin186

Post by kevin186 »

That's great news! I am looking forward to trying this out now that I know it is possible. Thanks for the valuable info.