Half Video showing on preview

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
ICT

Half Video showing on preview

Post by ICT »

Hi

Trying to get a 1 camera setup going on my Arch Linux / Zoneminder 1.24.2 machine. The camera is an ACTI 1321, running over POE.

It took me a while but I finally have the settings right on the camera, which gives me a picture. The only issue is that this picture is only half visible (see shot), and I am struggling to work out why. If I up the resolution to the max 1280x1024, I see a white screen in place of the video. It seems very temperamental.

if you need any logs posting or similar just ask and tell me where I can find them

any help would be appreciated to get this resolved.

cheers

edit: can't post image as I am a massive spammer. (can without the http ;) ) img15.imageshack.us/img15/655/captureeoq.jpg
bb99

Re: Half Video showing on preview

Post by bb99 »

Did you change shmmax value? Please post link (as you did in first post) showing monitor source tab settings or just list them out here.
ICT

Post by ICT »

Think I have the right tab, though I don't see shmmax value. I have read about how it's different for all machines though.

Thanks

img607.imageshack.us/img607/8854/capture1oe.jpg
ICT

Post by ICT »

bump? not sure how busy these forums can get.

anywhoo, looking on the wiki and saw the bit about the shmmax, so decided to have a play. I have got it to work on 268435456 for both values, but it is still only showing half the video as shown in screenshot one above, and only in 400x300.

I picked this resolution totally at random when I was playing at first - I can't surely have 'got lucky' and got the only resolution that works?? It's very odd

Reading
To enable mapped memory in ZoneMinder you need add add the --enable--mmap=yes switch to your configure line.
How do I find this 'configure line'? Would this be worth a shot?
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Had a look at your source tab, all looks good if your camera is set-up to send on 7070 with exception of no path. I'm not real familiar with Acti's but I think it might be "live.sdp". Anyway you can bring the camera up in a browser directly and right click the image, select properties and it should give you a clue as to what should be in the "Remote Host Path". As a precaution the camera firmware settings and the setting in ZM must match exactly for it to work correctly. Example: if the camera resolution setting is 640*480 then ZM's resolution must be 640*480.
ICT

Post by ICT »

hi bb99

I have been having a play and have discovered a few things. First off if I right click the video I don't get a menu at all. I have tried view source and take the stream from that but it doesn't work.

If I set the cam from source to 320x240, then set that at the zoneminder end, I get a perfect video, no black sections at all. From that I have diagnosed the issue can only be memory allocation.

However, if I increase the memory twice or even thricefold, I am not seeing any higher resolutions supported. It is very strange. I have set shmmax and the other to the same value as suggested in articles:

268 435 456

then

536 870 912

for both parts. But I haven't seen any differences even after reboot.

I can't find the articles right now as I am being a fool, but there were two from guys struggling to get their cam to show anything, and the memory change fixed it. When I up the resolution, with any shmmax set, I only ever get half the video.

However I did set it to 400x300 with double the memory and got 2/3 instead of 1/3. So it's obviously a memory issue.

Finding the right numbers now is going to be hard.

thanks for your help
ICT

Post by ICT »

bump
nightcrawler

Post by nightcrawler »

I sugest that you don't use SHMAX for your temp ram. but use MMAP. thats more flexible. see this recent post: http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 29&t=18266

And what kind off color palette do you use? Does it work correctly when swithting to grey of YUV422 palette ?
Zoneminder @Ubuntu 11 server, ZM 1.25.0 , FFMPEG, 4 Analoge cameras, 1.6ghz P4mobile, 2GB ram, 60GB-HDD.
I also have an (homeseer) domotica system up-and-running with touchscreens,light controllers,weather forecast etc.
ICT

Post by ICT »

I am using the full colour palette.

I am a little confused trying to switch to MMAP, there doesn't seem to be a definitive guide out there on how it is achieved.

Ideally I wish to get this camera running in 1280x1024, full colour, 8 fps. I don't really understand how others are calculating shmmax and shmall as to me it seems completely random. Any number between 1 and 2560000000 for example. How is it calculated? surely zoneminder has a formula of some sort to calculate the correct settings?

Barring shmmax and shmall like you say, how do I go about switching to mmap. It seems fairly confusing. The topic was all well and good but did not have clear intructions to me. I need to know exact file locations etc.

thanks for your input
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Formula and examples are in the wiki: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... solutions.
ICT

Post by ICT »

Well I tried that formula and got 500mb as the result:

1280x1024 = 1310720
x24 = 314572180
my buffer is set to 100, so x 100 = 31457218000
+ 10% = 3460300800
/8 = 432537600

What am I doing wrong? or is that right?
bb99

Post by bb99 »

I looked over all the posts here and shared memory is not your issue at all assuming this is RDMelons ZMLarch 1.24.2? http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... ped+memory, http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/search ... mit=Search. I'm sorry I'm not going to be able to help much from here as I only tested ZMLarch but upgraded to 1.24.2 (only tested to begin with) via Hiredguntech's post: http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... +for+candy and haven't upgraded or changed a thing for well over a year and half now; thing is rock solid (this is a shared memory build not mmap). Also posted these instructions to the wiki (The Easy Way) incorporating the changes mentioned in subsequent posts http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Fedora. One of the Arch experts hopefully will chine in on this thread to help. By the way your math and understanding of the wiki article is perfect.
ICT

Post by ICT »

Ok well thanks for your help I really hope someone can help as this issue is rather strange. Having set mmax to the calculated number, of course it doesn't work. Need to work out shmall now.

thanks