No GUI on Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
dkellygb

No GUI on Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop

Post by dkellygb »

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 desktop and I seem to have installed Zoneminder successfully using the instructions here http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... 29_Desktop. I have an eight channel BT878a capture card installed. I created the /etc/modprobe.d/bttv.conf file with the options noted in the documentation which came with the card.

My problem is that the Gnome desktop does not load while the bttv.conf file exists. The system boots to the command prompt. When I remove the bttv.conf file from the modprobe.d directory, the system boots back to the desktop.

I can access Zoneminder from other PCs on the network and it seems to be working correctly. I would like, however, to access Zoneminder from this machine. When I type sudo reboot or sudo halt at the command prompt, the gui shutdown screen shows. I can't hotkey to the Gnome desktop with ctrl-alt-f7 either.

Below is the contents of the bttv.conf file.

options i2c-algo-bit bit_test=1
options bttv gbuffers=16 card=102,102,102,102,102,102,102,102 radio=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 tuner=4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4 chroma_agc=1 combfilter=2 full_luma_range=1 coring=1 autoload=0

Does anyone know how I can get my desktop back?
SteveWrightNZ

Re: No GUI on Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop

Post by SteveWrightNZ »

Does everything work ok when you remove the /etc/modprobe.d/bttv.conf file ?

I'd try removing various options from the file until it worked, and see if you can figure out which option exactly was giving it a fright.

Also check in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if theres any hint there.

Steve
dkellygb

Post by dkellygb »

Thanks Steve,

The first thing I removed from bttv.conf was i2c-algo-bit. After that, the desktop came back. I have no idea what i2c-algo-bit does or whether it is required to make the thing work. I'll play with it for a while and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Dave
stinga

Post by stinga »

G'day,

This never seemed to have a conclusion but I discovered that the modprobe was running really slowly and holding up the init scripts, out 10.04 ubuntu takes about 2 minutes to boot.
I did some research and it seems that it might be a ubuntu issue, so if you don't seem to get a gui, wait! or you can log on and do a top and you might see modprobe sitting there.
It is trying to insert the bttv driver 8 times in our case, we have an 8 port vide bt878 card
zm: 1.24.2
Installed via apt-get (I think)
linux: ubuntu 10.04