64 char limit in Remote Host Path on Ubuntu 11.04 desktop?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
eufreka

64 char limit in Remote Host Path on Ubuntu 11.04 desktop?

Post by eufreka »

I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop and after a lot of hassles, ended up with a working Zoneminder 1.24.2 install theoretically based on the Ubuntu package (natty) version (Forum won't allow me to link to it.)

I am only using Remote IP Cameras.

However, I seem to have a hard 64 character limit in the "Remote Host Path" under the Source Tab of the Monitors.

Consequently, it only accepts a short path:

Code: Select all

TOO LONG xxxx://userx:passwd@xx.xx.xx.xxx/nphMotionJpeg?Resolution=320x240?Quality=Standard (82 char)
TOO LONG xxxx://xx.xx.xx.xxx/nphMotionJpeg?Resolution=320x240?Quality=Standard (69 char)
WORKS    xxxx://xx.xx.xx.xxx/nphMotionJpeg?Resolution=320x240 (52 char)
If I enter a too long path and save it, it is truncated at 64 characters. As a result, it is an invalid path and the camera doesn't connect. However, by trial and error, I discovered that if I could construct a path of 64 or less, it works fine.

The cameras have restrictions on username/password length, so I am stuck without authentication on the cams for now.

Is this a known (intentional) limitation? Could I have messed up the install? Is there a simple fix?
PacoLM

Re: 64 char limit in Remote Host Path on Ubuntu 11.04 deskto

Post by PacoLM »

Hi,

You could try to modify the lenght of the field in the database, using phpmyadmin, for instance, it's in the table monitors. I do not know if changing this could mess up your previous settings, let's wait for the answer of an expert!.

PacoLM

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

You can safely increase this field to 256 bytes or more.

mastertheknife.
Kfir Itzhak.
eufreka

Post by eufreka »

Well, I just installed ZMLarch to see if it has the same limitation; and it does. This surprises me for 2 reasons:

First, my old install (several versions back) blew up, which led me to examine the newer versions; it did not have this same limitation.

So this appears to be a deliberate change?

Second, the basic remote path for my Pana BL-c10a cams is too long to conform to that limit, even without using on-camera authentication (which I did previously).

So it is exceedingly odd that no one has mentioned this before as far as I can tell.
bb99

Post by bb99 »

It has been mentioned before but isn't showing up for me in forum searches; can't say why but I'm probably not using the correct search terms. PacoLM's fix is the answer as alluded to by Mastertheknife.
mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

eufreka wrote:Well, I just installed ZMLarch to see if it has the same limitation; and it does. This surprises me for 2 reasons:

First, my old install (several versions back) blew up, which led me to examine the newer versions; it did not have this same limitation.

So this appears to be a deliberate change?
The Path field was increased from 64 bytes to 255 bytes in ZoneMinder 1.24.3 and newer, but this only applies to newly created databases (created with the updated zm_create.sql file).

mastertheknife.
Kfir Itzhak.
eufreka

Post by eufreka »

mastertheknife wrote:You can safely increase this field to 256 bytes or more.

mastertheknife.
So I did expand the field and it holds the longer path...but I still cannot get an image in the Monitor as long as I have camera authentication incorporated into the Path. Strange.

(I did test the path directly in the browser and it works fine.)

((And it worked in my old installation!))
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Pulled this from another post:http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... nic+BL+c10
Remote Host Name - UsersName:Password@192.168.1.21
Remote Host Port - 80
Remote Host Path - /snapshotjpegResolution=320x240&Quality=Clarity
Might help?