Scalability, wireless quality

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
clustermagnet

Scalability, wireless quality

Post by clustermagnet »

Guys,
I am trying to see if this scenario would work for my small business.

8 wireless Axis cameras: m1031w

1 ZoneMinder box, 2GB ram, quad core CPU.

Storage : 2TB USB drive.

Would I have any performance issues storing live video from all 8 cameras? Will there be any performance hit from 8 wireless cameras talking on 1 wifi channel?

Suggestions? :)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Flash_

Re: Scalability, wireless quality

Post by Flash_ »

Those are megapixel cams so, if you choose to capture at full size, will use twice the bandwidth and data of 640x480.

You also don't mention fps, so I'll assume 5fps.

2tb drive is good. Should allow for several weeks (do the math if you want accurate)

Cpu should be ok. Don't know any quads too slow to do this, but you may need to tweak fps/colour/size if loads are high, but it depends what you're doing. If straight record, fine. If motion detection, much higher load on cpu. The good news is the cams you've specced, like all Axis, are very adjustable and you can set image size, fps, quality and colour on the url.

My big concern is your proposal to use wireless for this.

After extensive testing, I now no longer use any wireless ever. Too many mystery problems, random dropouts, poor signals, overheating waps and thick walls. Cat5 just works, every time. If it's possible, cable up.

If you insist on using wifi, then if you do have bandwidth problems (and who doesn't) then you can again adjust demands by specifying different urls on your mjpeg urls to the camera.