Image Problems after 1.24.4 upgrade

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
joelgb

Image Problems after 1.24.4 upgrade

Post by joelgb »

I upgraded from 1.24.2 to 1.24.2. 1.24.2 was working fine. I use a 4 channel Bluecherry PCIe card and analog cameras. I have not make any modprobe changes to specify the card type. Prior to upgrading to 1.24.4 all the software/hardware was working properly. In 1.24.2 I believe I was using V4L2, however due to other issues I ended up completely removing ZoneMinder and reinstalling, so I have lost all of my old settings. I'm running OpenSuSE 11.4.

I compiled from source with the following options:
./configure --with-mysql=/usr/bin --with-webdir=/srv/www/htdocs/zm/ --with-cgidir=/srv/www/cgi-bin --with-webuser=wwwrun --with-webgroup=www --with-libarch=lib64 --enable-mmap=yes ZM_DB_USER=zmuser ZM_DB_NAME=zmdb ZM_DB_PASS=MYPASS CPPFLAGS="-D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS"

I have 7 cameras, 1 on a chip on it's own. and the remaining 6 cameras are set in pairs on the remaining 3 chips. The camera on a chip by itself works without issue. All of the remaining 6 cameras have what looks like interlacing problems. If I configure the monitor for V4L1 I get images with many black lines thru them. If Configured in V4L2 I often get images that look like they "bounce" or are cut in odd ways.
I believe I am having similar problems as described in http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 21&t=17699

I have tried mastertheknife's suggestion and changed to 640x480 and tried adjusting the V4L2_CAPTURE_FIELDS options. Nothing I have tried will make all 6 of the shared chip cameras work. Some settings seem to make one set work, but breaks another (maybe this is just a coincidence since I am restarting ZM between changes). The most stable I have been able to make the system is to change the Capture Palette to "GREY", however I would really like to have color. Also GREY does not totally fix the issue as the monitors still "bounce" occasionally.

I'm running out of ideas to try. I've tried compiling with --enable-mmap=no but this did not help. I've also tried setting the Maximum FPS to a lower value (like 5fps) but this also did not help. An interesting note. In 1.24.2 I rarely saw the shared chip monitors greater than 7 fps per monitor. Now in 1.24.4 I am seeing them try to run between 15 and 20 fps.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping to not revert back to 1.24.2.

I have uploaded a couple of image examples.
Here is the result of v4l1
This is what my cameras look like when trying to use v4l1. I know that this is in 640x480, however i have the same result in 320x240
This is what my cameras look like when trying to use v4l1. I know that this is in 640x480, however i have the same result in 320x240
v4l_1_lines.jpg (60.29 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
Here is the result of v4l2
Here is an example of a broken v4l2 image. Sometimes I also see part of the image as solid green.
Here is an example of a broken v4l2 image. Sometimes I also see part of the image as solid green.
v4l_2_broken.jpg (46.47 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
Thanks,
Joel
zoneminder
Site Admin

Re: Image Problems after 1.24.4 upgrade

Post by zoneminder »

Have you tried varying Options->Config->CAPTURES_PER_FRAME and related options?
Phil
joelgb

Re: Image Problems after 1.24.4 upgrade

Post by joelgb »

Phil,
That did it, I forgot that on my old setup I had V4L_MULTI_BUFFER unchecked. However, your suggestion of changing CAPTURES_PER_FRAME (in my case from 1 to 2) also worked to stabilize my cameras. This plus the other thread I mentioned has me capturing in 640x480 (This was something I had previously tried, but without luck).

Thanks for your help and all you do. I'm glad to see the new releases!

-Joel