Streaming delay over network just get bigger

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
smichak

Streaming delay over network just get bigger

Post by smichak »

I have finally managed to get an image from a monitor I have defined from my Logitech C200 Webcam. I can see video stream (both MJPEG or SWF) but the stream has quite a major delay that keeps getting bigger.

I have tried (I think) almost anything in ZM configuration - lowering the source capture width and height, lowering the maximum capture FPS (not sure that worked and possible at all for my webcam). The CPU is more than 50% idle on the ZM machine and network throughput is quite low as well. I have checked it both for a wireless and wired connection and the problem persists. The only setup for which the stream played as it should without delays was when I streamed locally from the zoneminder machine (over localhost).

Any ideas?
haus

Post by haus »

Try leaving the capture fps blank or set it very high (10fps or higher). I discovered on my new 1.24 installation that when the fps is low (my typical value was 3fps on 1.23 to keep CPU load down) there was a terrible lag in the video. 3fps lagged by 12 seconds, 5fps something like 8 seconds. Not sure what is causing this but it is new to me since 1.23.

I finally tore down my install and reinstalled from scratch (using apt-get, not build from source), Video for Linux 2, and with 10fps I'm getting about 1 or 2 second lag, which I can live with. I limit the FPS display of the montage view in options which I hope keeps CPU load down when I'm viewing the cams.
smichak

Post by smichak »

haus wrote:Try leaving the capture fps blank or set it very high (10fps or higher). I discovered on my new 1.24 installation that when the fps is low (my typical value was 3fps on 1.23 to keep CPU load down) there was a terrible lag in the video. 3fps lagged by 12 seconds, 5fps something like 8 seconds. Not sure what is causing this but it is new to me since 1.23.

I finally tore down my install and reinstalled from scratch (using apt-get, not build from source), Video for Linux 2, and with 10fps I'm getting about 1 or 2 second lag, which I can live with. I limit the FPS display of the montage view in options which I hope keeps CPU load down when I'm viewing the cams.
Do you experience a constant lag (that is - after 10 minutes of streaming the lag remains 2 seconds)? I could live with a 12 seconds constant lag, the problem is that the lag is a few seconds at the beginning but after a few minutes builds up to tens of seconds. As I've said, CPU load is low as well as network bandwidth so I can't really understand why this would happen.
haus

Post by haus »

I think my lag was constant. But it was so bad I didn't stay to watch. What you are describing was mentioned by another poster in another thread - I asked if it was resolved and did not hear back, unfortunately.

If you can live with a 12 second delay (constant or not) you're a better person than me. I use ZM partially for real-time notification when someone is at a particular door or walkway, so by the time 12 seconds has elapsed it is too late for ZM to do me any good in that particular capacity.

I am OK with 1-2 seconds at 10fps because with the turbo jpeg drivers and other tweaks the load is below 1.00 on my reasonably outdated system.

Did you try raising the frame rate? I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I think this issue relates somehow to the frame rate being sent by the camera and then being artificially lowered after the fact. Someone suggested lowering the pre- and post-event frame buffers, but this doesn't make sense to me (since it only relates to events) and it had no effect. The only thing that seems to have helped is letting the frame rate go higher than I am used to with 1.23.
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Sure reads like an ipv6 time out issue, been seeing more and more of this in the last year (not just on ZM installations). I fix by disabling ipv6 on the router, connection properties (all boxes), and in the browsers.
Ben

Same

Post by Ben »

Hi,

I have the same problems... A lot of delay with a low frame setup.
I'm using zm 1.24.2 and Ubuntu 10.10 connected with one ip-camera.
Is there already a solution?..

I'm still in testing phase..

Thx Ben