Is ZM easier to get working under specific OS's?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
btrotter

Is ZM easier to get working under specific OS's?

Post by btrotter »

I have been using ZM under Ubuntu for several years. Once I get everything up and running, it is great. Getting it there though usually takes about a week of head scratching, searching forums, trying endless fixes and configs until I get it to where I want it, then I stop mucking with it.

Part of the issue is that I use a card with a Techwell 6805 chipset so I have to tinker with that for a while. Other than that, I don't think I have any complex configs. Most are the problems are scripts or php or some other oddball permission thing which just irritates you.
Build guides out there ( thank you kindly to those who make them) aren't always complete. Following them command by command will usually get you 80% there, but usually a command won't work or something won't install correctly, and it will take hours of digging through forums to find a fix.

It would be greet if there was a highly compatible OS that just worked the first time without requiring days of troubleshooting little issues. Maybe Ubuntu is it, and I just need to get over it. If so, that is a perfectly acceptable solution. ZM is an incredible tool, and it is worth spending days making it work. It would just be awesome if there was a better OS out there that in just don't know about.
This is one of the reasons why I choose Mac's over PC's, but that is an entirely different story :-)
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

Can't say much about the techwell cards but the bttv cards work out of the box on ubunte 10.10 and permisions were perfect also painless on debian unstable in my experance with centos and fedora it end up in a dependacy loop ffmepg dep
btrotter

Post by btrotter »

I am tinkering around with CentOS 5.5 as I type.
If it doesnt work well, I am going to go back to Ubuntu 10.
If that doesnt work, I am going to put this Techwell card back on Ebay and get a BTTV card.
keyboardgnome

Post by keyboardgnome »

Which distribution of Ubuntu (Desktop or Server)? For server, out of the box, my permissions were very wrong, and I have had to make modifications for the detection of the bttv card.
btrotter

Post by btrotter »

I tried Ubuntu desktop 10.04 LTS 64-bit, server 10.04 LTS 32-bit, and 10.04 LTS 64-bit.