Thinking

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
tibetfreedom

Thinking

Post by tibetfreedom »

Hi,
I am going to build Zone Minder but wondered if the specification of Zoneminder is really better than a hardware based DVR.
What price would you have to pay to get the features you get in Zoneminder, do people here think ?
kenrandrews

Post by kenrandrews »

It depends on a lot of things. I was looking to build a 2 camera DVR system and it was going to cost at least $400 because of my camera choices. I could have a bought a cheap 4 camera DVR for under $300, but I doubt it would do the obscure things I want it to. On top of that I would much rather build it myself, especially since I had an old laptop lying around (now the total cost is under $200).

This is really a personal preference.
tibetfreedom

Post by tibetfreedom »

kenrandrews wrote:It depends on a lot of things. I was looking to build a 2 camera DVR system and it was going to cost at least $400 because of my camera choices. I could have a bought a cheap 4 camera DVR for under $300, but I doubt it would do the obscure things I want it to. On top of that I would much rather build it myself, especially since I had an old laptop lying around (now the total cost is under $200).

This is really a personal preference.
Thanks,
The features I guess I am looking at are internet viewing and most importantly uploading any alarm video instantly…
These features are I guess going to cost more… if you buy a dedicated unit...
coke

Post by coke »

Cost more, if even available on the unit. Streaming to the internet with the hardware devices often requires an ActiveX control, which won't work on various browsers and operating systems.

On the other hand, it may/may not take you a while to set up the ZM install the way you like it. If time isn't money on the project, go ZM. Although I wouldn't go with a spare laptop, slow hard drives, etc.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

The other thing is dvr units are a royal pain to get recording off even some "profecinal" dvr software.

EX: mpeg4 eyes or something like that. The video has to have a codex installed for windows and don't event think about linux or mac support. So anyone i had to give video to could not see it unless they had the codec. Which in a legality i was breaking the law by given them.

my daily rant...