Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Installation Guide

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
jrevillini

Post by jrevillini »

I just wrote a how-to on installing ZM 1.24.x on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. Comments welcome!

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... 29_Desktop

I plan to add sections on the configuration screens during the ZM package install. Just haven't gotten to it yet.
Last edited by jrevillini on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pada

Post by Pada »

Nice guide.

I think you made a mistake in your forum post by saying that it's for "ZM 1.22.x", instead of for "1.24.x" :)

I'll install Ubuntu 10.04 x64 on my PC at work tomorrow in a VM and see if I can get it working with your guide.
Also, your "This guide is meant for installing ZM on a dedicated box" sentence sort of contradicts your post, since you're saying that they should open a terminal, implying that you've used Ubuntu Desktop and not Ubuntu Server.

As far as the other instructions goes, it should apply to both the Ubuntu Desktop and Server installations and it doesn't have to be just for a dedicated server.

One thing that you might want to include is the installation of cambozola, unless you purely want ZM to be a clean installation without any sort of add-ons.

I had issues with installing ZM on Ubuntu 10.04 by simply using Synaptics (the package manager). I guess the importing of the username and the zmfix is probably the reason why mine didn't work.
Eventually I actually compiled FFMPEG and ZM from source to get it going with my ACTi ACM-4100 IP camera which uses MPEG streaming over RTSP.
jrevillini

Post by jrevillini »

Pada wrote:I think you made a mistake in your forum post by saying that it's for "ZM 1.22.x", instead of for "1.24.x" :)
Got it - fixed.
Pada wrote:... "This guide is meant for installing ZM on a dedicated box" sentence sort of contradicts your post, since you're saying that they should open a terminal, implying that you've used Ubuntu Desktop and not Ubuntu Server.
I'll try to reword it so it's more clear, but you can have an Ubuntu Desktop box which is dedicated to video surveillance, no? From what I understand, if you install ZM on Ubuntu Server edition, there are performance benefits, but you can't watch the feeds on it unless you go through extra trouble of installing things to use to browse; there may be other things needed to use it as the viewer as well - I'm not sure.

I mention 'dedicated box' because if you use the same machine for web development, chances are you're going to need to do some extra work to make them copacetic.
Pada wrote:...One thing that you might want to include is the installation of cambozola, unless you purely want ZM to be a clean installation without any sort of add-ons....
Thanks - I'll look into that and add it to the Optional Configurations section.
Pada wrote:...I had issues with installing ZM on Ubuntu 10.04 by simply using Synaptics (the package manager). I guess the importing of the username and the zmfix is probably the reason why mine didn't work.
Eventually I actually compiled FFMPEG and ZM from source to get it going with my ACTi ACM-4100 IP camera which uses MPEG streaming over RTSP.
Oh man, I was trying to go that route last night at my buddies house, but we got stuck on the configure command. Everything would go fine but then it would say that Sys::Mmap was not installed. So I used MCPAN to install it and it still wouldn't find it.

I'm not especially well-versed in all this. I'm just figuring things out as I go, and sometimes I make it work not knowing why or how.
Pada

Post by Pada »

Yeah, I remember that I got stuck on the Sys::Mmap thing as well.
It could be that you didn't set the library paths which was given right at the top of the guide, because I didn't set it at first.
After I set those paths, I've restarted and tried to install the Sys::Mmap with perl again and I got it to work eventually.

I'll create 2 copies of Ubuntu 10.04 tomorrow and see if I can give instructions on installing it from source & package manager.

As far as the 'dedicated box' goes, I think you can just leave that out, since dedicated implies that no GUI/client is involved.

I'm going to be doing a project with ZM where I'm going to try and improve the streaming of video feeds so that it won't require as much resources. I have about 2 months from now to finish it.
jrevillini

Post by jrevillini »

Pada wrote:As far as the 'dedicated box' goes, I think you can just leave that out, since dedicated implies that no GUI/client is involved.
I'll try to come up with another way of saying it, however I disagree that 'dedicated' implies no GUI. You can set up a dedicated file server in windows, for example. There's no getting around the UI there! :)

Thanks for your other tips.