Remote Archive of Video

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
erik258

Remote Archive of Video

Post by erik258 »

Hi,

I'm running zoneminder on a few seperate machines that are all isolated from each other.

I'd like to archive all my zoneminder videos remotely, and view them from the remote location without interacting with the recorder machines.

Does zoneminder have built into its archiving system a way for me to move them to a large, offline, and remote storage location, from which I can view all the archived videos?

I can take care of connecting the systems together once in a while and am comfortable with providing a mechanism to move sql dumps and files around if necessary, but I'm mostly wondering what others int the community are doing in this area.

Any thoughts?
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

Your about the 5 person to ask i really dont know why no one has made a way to easily do this.

Heres how I would do it.
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15566

Another option if you don't want any local storage is set-up a NAS share as well as remote db. You should be able to add the php files from the zm machine to the remote nas. However live feeds wouldn't for on remote machine.
jfkastner

Post by jfkastner »

another possibility would be a script that gets run as a cronjob every so often, and looks in the /events folder to get the latest folders to copy them on to the remote location via SCP etc

with wildcards you could only back up the jpg that have set off the motion detection to save space/bandwidth

to create a video clip then you gotta run ffmpeg to make a video from all the jpg files (or you run ffmpeg regularly on the ZM server and move only the video clips to the remote location - depending on CPU speed and/or bandwidth of both systems)

IF you do write a script please post it!

EDIT someone did this script

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14811