Solved : Weird problem remote connections to Zoneminder

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
novazion

Solved : Weird problem remote connections to Zoneminder

Post by novazion »

Hello,

- For a start, locally (in a LAN envirronment) I don't have this problem.

- Zoneminder running lastest version 1.24.2 on ubuntu Server 10 with apache2.

- Remotely I connect trough a modem/router zyxel ( I tried with a dlink with no luck) with port forwarding feature

I can access to Zoneminder, I can authenticate (basic auth trough apache).
I can display the timeline recordings and if i click i Can see the video. But once I displayed the video I can't access to Zoneminder anymore. If I close my navigator (chrome, firefox, IE) and reopen it I regain access to zoneminder, until I display a record. I saw someting inetresting. In the records pop-up you got at the bottom a progress bar. If the progress bar appears, I don't lose the access to Zoneminder. If this progress bar doesn't appear, I can't access to zoneminder anymore.
I don't know why sometimes the progress bar appear or not, but it may be liniked to this bug.

Did someone encounter this problem?

That's really strange.

I will look to the different logs (apache, zoneminder) but any help would be appreciated.

Emeric.
Last edited by novazion on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

I see something somewhat similar, I can access everything, but if one of the windows gets
slow or stopped for some reason, I can not longer access that window. I only see it on FF,
Opera and Chrome all appear not to have this problem, only FF. The cure is to totally kill
FF and start it back up. Then I can get to whatever it decided not to allow me to get to.

I see it most common when I am changing parameters under the <SOURCE> list on a
particular camera.

The quick fix is as I pointed out to stop firefox and the restart it. Not sure exactly what is
going on, but I do not see it with the other browsers.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
ZM demo www.wchast.com/zm
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

I had i like that too try proxying though SSH.

My issues was the isp had a bad router i was getting other peoples traffic mixed with jpeg stream. You can see in wireshark.
novazion

Post by novazion »

In my case I tested with two different routers, with two different ISP, and the problem is present with any browsers.

I'll investigate.
novazion

Post by novazion »

Found in a How to on the zoneminder wiki (However that's just confort me in that it is a Zoneminder problem more than a router apche or something else problem):

Dont open more than 4 live streams simultaneously from the wan side of the server; on the local side, i can open more views at the same time, and the problems become more unlike to happen; i think that as the ping grows between the server and the browser (what logically happens when opening multiple streams under a limited bandwidth) the lack of response generates a side effect that ends up like a "apache crash"... but: Are you sure apache is hung? try to CLOSE ALL INSTANCES OF YOUR BROWSER, RESTART IT and now have a look! the console is back, and apache and zm did not need to be restarted (this further seems to indicate it may not be a zm problem); Also, under zm console options you may customize the behavior and timeouts for your specific case, for example under options > low b/w , and then using the corresponding option under zm console (just below the ZoneMinder Console - Running - v1.24.2 message);
novazion

Post by novazion »

Found the workaround. the probelm seem about AJAX timeout in Events and Watch windows. So in Bandwith configuration, I set the AjAX timeout paraemeters to 0. In thsi case there's no timeout and the problem disappears.

Hope this will help.
johnnytolengo

Post by johnnytolengo »

where exactly did you change ajax to 0 ?

thanks
novazion

Post by novazion »

In admin, you've got different bandwith profiles (High, Medium, low and phone). In each one you can specify the Ajax timeout.
johnnytolengo

Post by johnnytolengo »

I'll try it. thank you.