zmfilter.pl bug with MonitorID "in set" filters

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
carteriii

zmfilter.pl bug with MonitorID "in set" filters

Post by carteriii »

I believe I've tracked down a bug where zmfilter.pl executes differently than events.php with respect to filtering based on a set of monitor IDs. I've narrowed it down to a few potential lines of code, but I'm not certain of the proper fix.

I have specified a filter that restricts events to those where "Monitor ID in set 2,3". When I submit/execute this filter from the web interface, everything executes properly. The events.php code properly splits the "2,3" and then re-joins it to be a SQL "in" statement such as "in (2,3)". Here is the relevant code from events.php, lines 32-38:

Code: Select all

$countSql = "select count(E.Id) as EventCount from Monitors as M inner join Events as E on (M.Id = E.MonitorId) where";
$eventsSql = "select E.Id,E.MonitorId,M.Name As MonitorName,M.Width,M.Height,M.DefaultScale,E.Name,E.Cause,E.Notes,E.StartTime,E.Length,E.Frames,E.AlarmFrames,E.TotScore,E.AvgScore,E.MaxScore,E.Archived from Monitors as M inner join Events as E on (M.Id = E.MonitorId) where";
if ( $user['MonitorIds'] )
{
    $countSql .= " M.Id in (".join( ",", preg_split( '/["\'\s]*,["\'\s]*/', $user['MonitorIds'] ) ).")";
    $eventsSql .= " M.Id in (".join( ",", preg_split( '/["\'\s]*,["\'\s]*/', $user['MonitorIds'] ) ).")";
}
By contrast, when this same filter is executed in the background through zmfilter.pl, the split/join code isn't working properly. That code results in a query with a where clause of "in ('2,3')" Note the single apostrophe/quotation mark before the 2 and after the 3. I believe this is an indication of two problems.

First and most obvious, the code in zmfilter.pl checks for the string /^Monitor/ and then surrounds the value with apostrophes/single quotation marks. I believe this code was intended to look for "Monitor Name" and is not considering "Monitor ID" which has numeric values.

That takes care of the apostrophe, but I believe it shows that the splitting isn't happening properly either, otherwise the query would have created "in ('2','3')" with the 2 and 3 being quoted separately. Since they were quoted together, I think this is an indication that the values aren't being split properly. Here is the relevant zmfilter.pl code around lines 330-336 which does the splitting and then adds the apostrophes

( my $stripped_value = $value ) =~ s/^["\']+?(.+)["\']+?$/$1/;
foreach my $temp_value ( split( '/["\'\s]*?,["\'\s]*?/', $stripped_value ) )
{
    if ( $filter_expr->{terms}[$i]->{attr} =~ /^Monitor/ )
    {
        $value = "'$temp_value'";
    }
I cannot see why the split command isn't working, and simply removing the extra quotation of $temp_value might break a filter which is trying to use the "Monitor Name". Would one of you gurus please take a look and propose a proper fix to this situation? Thanks.
carteriii

Re: zmfilter.pl bug with MonitorID "in set" filters

Post by carteriii »

This problem still exists in 1.30, although the code has now been moved into the Filter.pm source script. I've been running my fix for years now (I created this thread 6 years ago!!!). Should I just check this into github myself? I haven't directly contributed to the source before so I'm a bit uncomfortable doing that without one of the maintainers blessing it or at least aware of it. The fix is incredibly simple, just removing the extra quotation marks/apostrophe around the monitor ID which should be treated as a plain number (not a string which requires the apostrophes). It's now line #248 in Filter.pm and simply needs to be this:

$value = "$temp_value";