Best way to avoid event segmentation?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
Blazer

Best way to avoid event segmentation?

Post by Blazer »

I just had an issue where an event being segmented made me lose some very valuable frames. I have a monitor set for modetect mode, and when there is motion for say 60 seconds, instead of recording a 60 second event, it is recording 10 mini events. In this case there was a 12 second gap between two of the events that were critical as the event was part of a theft.

I had noted previously that event segmentation was happening, so I had increased the "Post Event Image Count" from 10 to 15, in hopes that this would keep the event recording during any momentary lack of motion, but I still had what amounts to a huge gap (12 seconds), while someone was apparently moving very slowly?

Please advise on the best way to basically "keep recording for 15 seconds after motion ceases". And will this same setting also have the effect of not ending the event and creating a new one if motion stops for, say 10 seconds?

I am wary of increasing "Pre Event Image Count" because I know that requires more shmem, and I am capturing at 960x720 so the frames are pretty large.

EDIT: Also it looks like this particular monitor is capturing at 10.24 FPS, if that helps any calculations. I just increased my post event image count to 60, which theoretically in my case would record for an additional 5+ seconds. Is this correct? I am still unclear if there is motion that happens within the post event period, if that will extend the event and not create a new one.

I may have to just bite the (disk space) bullet and put it on full mocord mode :(
littlej

Post by littlej »

hy, had a similar problem with you.
i run my cams at 10fps also. so what i did was put "Pre Event Image Count" at 25 so this way it writes the event with 2seconds before an alarm is detected (25 frames will be with no alarm)
and "Post Event Image Count" at 100 so basicaly it records 10 seconds afther the event its over (the last alarm frame), at least this worked ok for me.

so if u wish to record 15 seconds afther an alarm is detected just put 150 at post event. theoreticaly u can increase this as much as u want cose it will just keep recording the frames afther an event is detected and u wont need extra memory for this.
jfkastner

Post by jfkastner »

i record continously, with mocord, but have a filter set up that deletes all events with zero alarm frames

both happens every 900 sec, so the worst case would be the motion happens at the end of one segment and nothing anymore in the next

this way i don't have to worry about 'warmup frames' etc but have a bit more disk activity
cordel

Post by cordel »

You could try checking to disable blending the reference image during alarm. It might get you the results you are looking for.
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

Cordel, that makes perfect sense now that I think about it. I will give that a try!
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Any motion that happens in the post event period will extend the original event by the way.
Phil
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

Well I tried turning off the reference image blend, and it ended up having the effect of the monitoring constantly being in an alarm state. I found this out when it recorded for 24 hours straight and filled up the disk :)

So maybe I should instead go into the zone settings and reduce the reference image blend?

I will also try making the post event buffer equal to 10 seconds according to the average FPS
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

just ti clarify, the post event setting is only in frames, not seconds. if you running at 10 fps your going to need a 150 frames to get your 15 seconds
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk