zoneminder credibility

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
whatboy

Post by whatboy »

Linux Sucks??? RLY??? well then windows is a black fsking hole!!!

Linux rulz!!!
gola10

Post by gola10 »

Scottjge i has been using Zoneminder for a few years now and have had problems but all of them has been solved with the help on this forum. My opinion about Zoneminder is totally opposed to yours. It is great and it is getting better with new versions.

If you do not like it, just use Windows and pay for the software you like the most. But also buy a good antivirus and keep it updated.
PacoLM

I don't understand

Post by PacoLM »

Hi,

This is my first post here.

I have been trying to get Zonemider 1.24 working with 2 different webcams without success, tried Kmotion (GUI for motion) and it worked after some tweaks and two hours of reading...but I do not blame Zoneminder.

I see this application really powerful and I'm waiting my first IP camera from dealextreme.com (the Foscam clone!), to get it working with Zoneminder.

I'm a linux newby, just discovered Ubuntu one year ago and really enjoy the free software. It's wonderful to find free sw for all the different user needs.

The big difference between Kmotion and ZM is the support, I didn't found any Kmotion dedicated forum (maybe it exist, I just didn't found it...), but I have read tons of posts of this forum and another sites. There's a lot of information about ZoneMinder here, several experts that could help you and I'm pretty sure that you could get ZM working after crossing posts with any of them.

Scottjge, I do not understand your complain!!!.

I spent hours and hours trying to get ZM working in 3 different computers, with different Ubuntu and ZM versions, and 2 different webcams (webcams that are not really supported, they are pretty old), still no success....but I take it as a hobby, a way to learn linux, get experience in another areas and enjoy getting a surveillance system for my home almost for free.
If you have an urgency you could pay for support or buy a good Windows application, there are many, but I recommend you VitaminD (http://www.vitamindinc.com/), now in beta phase and really powerful!.

Again, if you are deceived about ZM, give it another try, ask for help and be patience, I believe that you will get running your system like you did with motion (we have two free powerful choices, and for free!).

Best regards from Spain (sorry for my english)!,

Paco

PS: Keep improving ZM and giving good support to it!!!!